PCNI Inaugural Monthly Co-ordination Forum Session's First Communique – July 4, 2017
PRESIDENTIAL COMMITTEE ON THE NORTH EAST INITIATIVE
ADDRESS: 6, Ogun River Close, Off Danube, Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria. | PHONE: 08012345678, 09 234583
PCNI INAUGURAL MONTHLY COORDINATION FORUM
SESSION’S COMMUNIQUE – JULY 4, 2017.
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE INAUGURAL EDITION OF THE PCNI MONTHLY COORDINATION FORUM FOR KEY FEDERAL AND STATE ACTORS/STAKEHOLDERS, MINISTRIES, DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES (MDAs) WORKING IN THE NORTH-EAST REGION.
THEME: “PROMOTING SYNERGY AND COLLABORATIVE FRAMEWORKS AMONG ALL HUMANITARIAN AND DEVELOPMENT ACTORS IN THE NORTH EAST” HELD AT BARCELONA HOTEL, ABUJA ON THE 4TH OF JULY 2017.
The Presidential Committee on the North-East Initiative (PCNI) is charged with the responsibility of coordinating all interventions in the North –East and to oversee the recovery and rebuilding of the region. The PCNI process is targeted at enhancing frameworks, building delivery partnerships, augmenting capacities, filling gaps and promoting synergy among all humanitarian and Development Actors engaged in the North-East, Nigeria.
This is why the PCNI has designed this monthly coordination forum to provide a common platform that systematically supports all actors in the North-East.
This is a critical step which underscores the need for cohesion and synergy.
The framework for collaborative intervention has already been recognized and promoted and was today, validated by several Actors and Sector Working Groups in the region involved in the numerous intervention activities and efforts.
At the maiden edition of the meeting (4th July, 2017) at Barcelona Hotel, critical appraisal of issues and ideas, as well as intensive interactions during the sessions resulted in all participants unanimously resolving as follows:
1. That all Stakeholders recognise the Buhari Plan which collapses the proliferation of agencies and committees into PCNI as the Apex Federal Government Leadership Structure for effective sharing of opportunities, information and strategies; identification of duplication or saturation of efforts; and the leveraging of existing resources and structures in the recovery and rebuilding of the North-East;
2. That the Federal Ministries, Departments and Agencies coordinated by the Inter-Ministerial Task Force recognise the primacy of PCNI as the coordination platform for the North East while the IMTF remains focused on subsuming its intervention priorities as defined by the Buhari Plan.
3. That all Stakeholders affirm the severity of the humanitarian crisis in the North-East, hence all have stated their commitment to the communicative, collaborative and not competitive coordination process of this forum to accelerate effective recovery of the region.
4. That therefore the PCNI Monthly Coordination Forum where monthly work plans will be enlisted for action on the field will be based on the three core deliverables of Coordination, Collaboration and Communication;
5. That the key Stakeholders like MDAs, National and International partners and the private sector agree to participate constructively in the coordination through monthly feedbacks to the PCNI for prioritised and concerted action.
6. That the coordination process designed by the PCNI has mechanisms and tools for tracking activities, analysing and circulating reports towards identifying gaps and enhancing operational frameworks within a specified timeline of delivery; which all Stakeholders commit to comply with.
7. That in the recovery and rebuilding of the North East, Stakeholders resolved to utilize PCNI’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) platform that systematically tallies and enhances all activities in an open, accessible and interactive manner for greater impact;
8. That the PCNI intervention process is to adopt a bottom-top approach that will be based on these feedbacks from Stakeholders on the field to ensure operational transparency and accountability;
9. That the Forum identified communication, access roads, security, human resource capacity, release of budgetary provisions, and cost of logistics as major challenges to effective recovery and rebuilding of the North East; and
10. That the Forum adopts the PCNI proposed Monthly Coordinating Structure for efficient and focused approach to tackle the identified operational challenges facing intervention deliveries in the North-East; with a special emphasis on PCNI’s role in fast-tracking Budgetary Releases and facilitating other support frameworks to Government MDAs.