Rescue abducted oil explorers by all means, Osinbajo tells military

0
812

Acting President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, has ordered the rescue of oil workers recently abducted in Borno state.
In a statement released on Sunday, he condemned the ambush, attack and abduction of soldiers, and civilians who were carrying out their duties to the nation in the Lake Chad Basin Frontier Exploration.
“The objective of this patriotic exercise is to open up new areas for oil exploration for the common good of all Nigerians. The terrorist attack resulted in a number of deaths of hardworking and innocent Nigerians, and the abduction of some,” he said.
Commending the military for the progress already recorded with the rescue of some of the abducted, Prof. Osinbajo also ordered the continuation of search and rescue missions to locate and ensure the freedom of all remaining abducted persons as soon as possible, using all available and expedient means in the circumstances.
He added that justice would be pursued for the victims and against those who engage in “this kind of unacceptable, criminal and terrorist conduct.”
Prof. Osinbajo commiserated with the families, relatives and associates of those who lost their lives and wished the injured speedy recovery.
The Acting President had after an emergency meeting with the Military chiefs on Thursday, issued fresh directives to the Nigerian military and all security agencies to immediately scale-up their efforts and activities in Borno State in order to maintain a strong, effective control of the situation and secure lives and property.
“Acting President Osinbajo pays tribute to the resilience, courage and bravery of officers and men of the Nigerian Armed Forces for their gallant endeavours and sacrifices for the peace, security and territorial integrity of our country.
“He eulogises the Nigerian soldiers who have paid the ultimate price in this mission and others linked to the current insurgency, and gives a firm assurance that the welfare of the families of the soldiers will be prioritized, ” the statement added.
He also commended the diligence of the management and staff of the NNPC, and the lecturers and consultants from the University of Maiduguri in pursuing Federal Government’s resolve to grow the country’s current crude oil reserve base through potential exploration in the Lake Chad Basin, stressing that the government would by no means be dissuaded.
He said : “some of these extraordinarily selfless Nigerians from the NNPC and the University Of Maiduguri put their lives on the line that we and generations to come will enjoy the resources of this land. We will never forget that sacrifice”
“Although pockets of terrorists have been launching attacks recently in Borno State, the Acting President assures the people of the State, the region and indeed all Nigerians, that the FGN is not only on top of the situation, but will define the end of these atrocities by both winning the war and winning the peace in the North-east,” the statement added.
Tragic setback
Earlier, the Borno State Governor said the attack on the geologists, and oil exploration workers was a tragic setback in efforts to boost Nigeria’s economic fortunes.
Governor Kashim Shettima said in a statement, that after hearing reports about the attack on his way to visit the President in London, he had been in shock and in deep pain.
Abducted oil explorers
The governor however said it was necessary to commend the Nigerian military for re-mobilizing and countering the initial gains of the insurgents.
“On behalf of Government and people of Borno State, I mourn and salute the soldiers and our sons in the Civilian JTF who paid the supreme price by giving their lives in this fight.
“I haven’t been myself normal self since I received information on that attack. What happened in the first instance was a tragic setback in the fight against Boko Haram and in Nigeria’s effort to expand its economic fortunes,” he said.
Governor Shettima said pending the report the Borno State Government had never lost focus in doing whatever was within its powers in supporting the Nigerian Armed Forces, in funding and equipping the Civil JTF and other volunteers, in mobilizing and passing on intelligence generated from communities and in regularly briefing all those concerned with the fight against boko haram.
He assured the people of Borno state and other Nigerians that they were not resting on their oars, but were committed to the fight.
Governor Shettima said he believed that by the power and grace of God, the battle against boko haram would be completed soon, while urging the military, volunteers in the Civilian JTF, vigilantes and hunters to consider what had happened as a temporary setback that should strengthen the will and collective determination to defeat the forces of evil.
I am confident that Boko Haram will become history, by the will of the Nigerian Armed Forces through the supreme help of God” Shettima was quoted as saying in the statement.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here