Death toll in Las Vegas shooting hits 50, 200 injured
The death toll in Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino shootout in Las Vegas, the United States, has risen to 50, Las Vegas police said on Monday.
The final night of the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival was taking place across the street from Mandalay Bay when the shooting took place and concert goers were caught off-guard.
Police also said over 200 people were injured after 64-year-old gunman Stephen Paddock launched an attack from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel, unloading hundreds of rounds of ammunition from a semi-automatic weapon at concert-goers.
Joseph Lombardo, the sheriff of Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, confirmed that one of the victims was an off-duty police officer who worked for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
He said another one of the department’s officers is in a critical condition, adding that he expects the investigation to be long and protracted.
Lombardo also confirmed the shooter, Stephen Paddock, had been killed by police, but that his companion Marilou Danley has now been arrested.
“We are looking at in excess of 50 individuals dead and over 200 individuals injured … Obviously, this is a tragic incident and one that we have never experienced in this valley. My condolences go out to the loved ones.
“The number for family and friends to get an update on loved ones is 1866 535 5654,” Lombardo said.
Police found numerous firearms within the room that he occupied. “All we know is that they were rifles. We are executing a search warrant on the room.We have officers at his residence, and we will be executing a search warrant there also shortly.
It is not yet known what the shooter’s motivation was, but he has so far not been tied to any terrorist group.
Police said the investigation would be a long and thorough process.