WHO to rebuild Health Facilities in North-East
The World Health Organisation has expressed its commitment to collaborate with development partners to rebuild destroyed health facilities in the North-East.
According to the WHO Regional Director for Africa, Dr. Matshidiso Moeti, who spoke at a press conference in Maiduguri, on Saturday, it is time to scale up the intervention in the state and the rest of the North-East devastated by the insurgency.
She said that WHO, in collaboration with other international humanitarian agencies, had worked to combat the outbreak of diseases in the region.
Dr. Moeti, who flagged off the integrated polio and malaria campaign, said that WHO had been supporting the treatment of malaria, which remains the major child killer disease, before the crisis in the North-East.
She disclosed that WHO has mobilized 113 mobile health teams to be deployed in Borno to assist the state government in the provision of health services. She also noted that WHO’s partnership with the state was instrumental in establishing the Borno State Public Health Emergency Operation Centre to combat disease outbreaks and medical emergencies.
She added that with the crisis nearing its end, and with the imminent return of displaced people to their communities, there was an urgent need to ensure the rehabilitation of destroyed health facilities as part of a broader effort to re-establish the primary health care system in the state.