Ibrahim Musa Tumsah: The quintessential public servant
By John Okoh, Abuja
Ibrahim Musa Tumsah hails from Bursari Local Government Area of Yobe State, Nigeria. He was born on the 24th of April, 1960. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Accountancy from the University of Maiduguri and is a Certified Public Accountant of Nigeria (CPAN) and a Fellow of the Association of National Accountant of Nigeria (ANAN).
Ibrahim Tumsah served as Deputy Accountant General in Yobe State after being an Accountant, Chief Accountant and Director of Finance since he started his career from old Borno State before transferring his service to the Federal Civil Service as Assistant Director (Accounts), in 1995.
Since joining the Federal Civil Service, he has served in different capacities in the Accounts Departments of various ministries, such as the Federal Ministry of Solid Minerals Development, Office of the Accountant General of the Federation, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Ministry of Police Affairs heading divisions and departments of Finance and Accounts.
He rose to the Post of Deputy Director (Accounts) in 2004 and in 2008 he was promoted Director (Accounts), Grade Level 17 and posted to the Federal Ministry of Works as Director (Finance and Accounts) in May, 2010.
A widely traveled officer, Tumsah, an exemplary family man who is happily married and blessed with children, has attended various courses, seminars and workshops both in Nigeria and abroad. His hobbies include farming and sport.
The functions of his department are:
- Planning, coordinating and control of the financial activities of the Ministry which include payment of approved expenditure.
- Rendering statutory returns to the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation (OAGF) which include statements and Revenue Returns.
- Collection and remittance of independent Federal Government Revenue.
- Responding to Audit queries from the Public Accounts Committee of the National Assembly.
- Processing of cash backing of all warrants released by Federal Ministry of Finance.
- Preparation of the Ministry’s Medium Term Sector Strategy (MTSS).
- Preparation of the Ministry’s Annual Budget and
- Monitoring and Evaluation of all Projects for the Ministry.