NUJ Bauchi REJOINDER: Re-Gidado Dancing Between Two Masters
The Attention of the Bauchi State Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) has been drawn to a write -up on Muktar Gidado by one Sani Musa in an online paper reportcircle.com and posted on the Chris Isiguzo “NUJ Rescue Mission” page. Ordinarily, we would not have responded to such ranting from desperate lowlifes who feel they can only achieve their ambitions by dragging other people to their level. However, for posterity’s sake, the records should be set straight. Consequently, we wish to state the following in very clear terms:
- While Muktar Gidado (Jarman Alkaleri) has the inalienable right to endorse any candidate of his choice, he has at this moment not done so. This is because; it is the tradition of our council to allow wide consultations among stakeholders after all candidates have presented their manifestos. The Deputy President is highly respected in our council and beyond and would only take a position after such consultations. It is instructive to state here that even his decision to recontest the office of Deputy President was at the prompting of our council and respected Colleagues from across all zones of our Union.
- We therefore condemn in totality any move by any individual or group to tarnish the image of Muktar Gidado through falsehood and false allegations simply because of politics.
- On the issue of Gidado never contesting a post but always running unopposed, even if true, did not suggest that Gidado has ever stopped any person from contesting an election. However, for the records, Gidado contested and won an election to become Bauchi Council Chairman and later VP Zone E. It was his unassailable first term record as VP and the respect he commands across our Zone that earned him second term ticket as VP unopposed. His twice emergence as Deputy President unopposed also speak volumes about his popularity and acceptability among majority.
- The write-up has done nothing but exposed the apprehension of the writer and his sponsors on Gidado’s intimidating track record and presence in the contest.
- For the records, Gidado fondly called Jarman Alkaleri is a household name in NUJ politics nationwide; who has risen through the ranks to the exalted position of the Deputy President of this great union. He was the Chairman Credentials and Delegates Conference (NAWOJ) 2014 Badagry Lagos State and Chairman National Media Games to mention but a few.
- We wish to state that the write-up was uncalled for and also condemned it in totality as it was viewed to be malicious aimed at smearing the good name of Muktar Gidado
- We have observed with disdain how NUJ politics has been hijacked and turned into cheap blackmail by some desperadoes who write and, or share malicious lies against respectable leaders of our Union, thinking that only by so doing would their desperate ambitions be realised.
- Finally, we want to categorically remind ourselves that all power belongs to the Almighty Who gives to whoever He wills and takes at will.
Ibrahim M Malam Goje Yakubu M Lame
Chairman, NUJ BH Council Sec., NUJ BH Council