From Fatima Ibrahim, Gombe
Maj.-Gen. Bamidele Shafa, Coordinator Operation Safe Corridor (OSC) handed over 586 ex-Boko Haram militants for a De-Radicalisation, Rehabilitation and Reintegration (DRR) Programme to Brig. Gen. Musa Ibrahim, the Camp Commander, OSC Malam-Sidi Camp, Gombe State.
Shafa said on Friday that OSC has been successful so far.
“Today we are bringing in 586 adults. This is in addition to the 86 children that we handed over to the Borno Government last two weeks.
“The operation has been very successful and it is a great achievement.
“With the large number that we are taking, it is an indication that Boko haram combatants are surrendering to the Armed Forces,” he explained.
He said that those brought to Gombe for the De Radicalisation Programme were those who willingly surrendered. Shafa said these were a sign of victory in the fight against terrorists in the North East.
He added that the ex-militants are largely Nigerians and a few who were from Cameroon and the Chad Republic. According to him, OSC is exclusively for those who surrender.
Shafa also said that OSC had successfully reintegrated 268 clients among which were 266 Nigerians and two Chadians.