The Federal Government has commenced the removal of N-Power beneficiaries who are believed to have stayed beyond the stipulated two-year duration of their contracts.
It was gathered on Thursday that thousands of N-Power beneficiaries should have exited the scheme and replaced it with new entrants as of August 2018.
But more than 16 months after the contract of some of the affected beneficiaries had elapsed, they had yet to exit the scheme.
The N-Power initiative is one of the four clusters of National Social Investment Programmes of the Federal Government designed to stem the tide of poverty, unemployment and social insecurity in Nigeria. It is the job creation and economic empowerment component of the NSIP for young unemployed Nigerians.
A senior official at the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development told our correspondent that the removal was long overdue.
“The process has started and it is being done because many of the beneficiaries have naturally stayed beyond their contract terms,” the Special Assistant, Media, to the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Halima Oyelade, said.
Although Oyelade could not confirm the number of those to be affected, she stated that the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq, had earlier hinted that the government would begin the exit scheme soon.
Farouq had revealed in December that the Federal Government was considering a complete restructuring of the N-Power program.
She told journalists in Abuja that officials of the NSIP were of the view that the N-Power initiative will be restructured.