The Federal Government has suspended the passports of 100 airline passengers who refused to take the second Coronavirus (COVID-19) test after arriving in Nigeria.
Mr Boss Mustapha, Chairman, Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, disclosed this at the national briefing on Tuesday, 29 December in Abuja.
Boss, also, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), said that the names of the passengers would be published on 1 January 2021, while the suspension of the passports would last for six months.
He said: “With effect from 1 January 2021, passports of the first 100 passengers, who failed to take their day-seven post-arrival polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test, would be published in the national dailies.”
He lamented the difficulties experienced in the national response, saying: “Our National Response is passing through a challenging phase due to the seriousness of the second wave of infections in Nigeria.
“Week 52 has so far given us the highest number of infections in a single week to date. Our analysis shows that 16 out of every 100 tests carried out are positive.
“We are also seeing increasing transmission among younger people and this is not considered good and safe. We must, therefore, exercise utmost restraint by taking responsibility.”