Nigerian troops have reclaimed Marte in Borno State from Boko Haram and ISWAP terrorists.
The operation lasted hours on Tuesday; scores of insurgents were killed.
A military officer told PRNigeria that the troops safely detonated a number of improvised explosive devices buried along the routes.
“New Marte effectively in our hands since 3pm. Our will and determination are unshaken. We are ever determined not to let our service chiefs and the nation down,” he said.
Reports gathered that there was a massive deployment of military assets in the offensive that extended to areas around Marte.
They include Kirta, Wulgo, Chikingudo, and Kirenowa and the location of the South Chad Irrigation Project (SCIP).
On Sunday, the Chief of Staff, Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru, gave troops 48 hours to reclaim Marte.
The COAS issued the order when he visited troops of Army Super Camp 9 in Dikwa LGA of Borno.
Last week, terrorists attacked a military base in Dikwa and captured Marte.
They invaded the community on motorcycles and light trucks mounted with Heavy Machine Guns (HMGs).
Meanwhile, there were explosions near the Adamkolo and Gwange areas of Borno state on Tuesday evening, according to residents.
Some residents also said they heard multiple gunshots around the Mairi area a few minutes past 6 pm.
Mairi area is a student-dominated area near the University of Maiduguri.
Reports gathered ten people were killed and 21 others injured local militia and residents.
They said the insurgents fired two volleys of explosives on the city, hitting the densely populated Adamkolo and Gwange neighbourhoods.
“We have six dead in Adamkolo and four others in Gwange from the mortar explosions,” militia leader Babakura Kolo said.
“The explosives were fired by Boko Haram terrorists from Kaleri on the outskirts of the city,” he added.
At least 16 people were injured in Gwange and five in Adamkolo, said another militiaman, Umar Ari, who gave the same death toll.
It was gathered that the attacks were aimed at overrunning Maiduguri.