15-year-old among 3 suspects arrested for murdering teenager in Northamptonshire

0

A 15-year-old boy is among three people arrested on suspicion of murder after a teenager was stabbed.

Northamptonshire Police launched a murder investigation following the death of 16-year-old, Rayon Pennycook, in Corby on Tuesday evening.

Officers were called at around 7: pm to reports of a boy being stabbed on Constable Road.

East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) said they were called to a private address in the town at 6:57 pm after the caller reported a medical emergency.

Two paramedics in ambulance cars, two crewed ambulances and the air ambulance were sent but despite their efforts, the victim died at the scene.

Police said three teenagers, two aged 17-year-old and one aged 15-year-old, have been arrested on suspicion of murder and are currently being held in custody.

On Wednesday morning, the surrounding area remained cordoned off to members of the public.

An officer could be seen standing guard outside a property on the adjacent Reynolds Road and around five police vehicles were stationed nearby.
Tributes have been paid to the teenage victim, with one person leaving flowers and a message which read: “May you rest in peace, so sad.”

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Joe Banfield, said: “This is an exceptionally sad and tragic incident in which a young boy with his whole life ahead of him has died and I want to reassure the public that we are absolutely determined to bring the people involved to justice.

“Arrests were promptly made last night and enquiries are continuing to move at a fast pace however I would still appeal for any witnesses or anyone with information who has not yet come forward, to please do so.

“Whilst we do believe that this was an isolated incident, high-visibility police patrols will be taking place in Corby today to reassure the local community and I would encourage anyone with concerns in the area to approach one of our officers who will be happy to help.”

Shocked residents began leaving floral tributes at the scene throughout this morning after they were left reeling from the tragedy on the Hazel Leys estate.

Among those leaving bouquets was Karen Ruthven, who said: “I gave my son an extra cuddle this morning before he went to sixth form.
“He’s the same age, 17 – this boy was 16. It’s not like Corby.”

Another resident, who did not want to be named, added: “There were police and ambulances all over the place.

“It’s so shocking. You don’t expect this to happen in Corby. It’s been years and years since a teenager was last killed here.”

A police helicopter flew over in the area while roads in around the scene were taped off as forensic investigations began.

A group of teens who had arrived in the area at about 10.15 pm said that they had heard the victim was a local boy who had been stabbed in the chest.

Another neighbour who lives on Constable Road added: “We’ve had some issues with kids in gangs hanging around but it’s usually low-level stuff.
“Absolutely nothing like this. It’s just incredibly sad. His poor parents.”

The force have urged any witnesses or anyone with information to contact them on 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here