The Kebbi State Government has shut down seven schools indefinitely, following bandits’ abduction of students and teachers of Federal Government College, Birnin Yauri on Thursday.
This was made known to newsmen by the Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Teachers Isah Arzika.
He revealed that the schools closed are located on the front lines’ danger areas, making them prone to more attacks by bandits.
Mr Arzika explained that the government had directed all principals in the affected areas to shut down schools that may be at risk of an attack.
He added that the safety of teachers, principals and students are of paramount importance to the government at such a frivolous time.
“Government has given us an order and option to take any necessary action as far as our schools are concerned. That we can close those schools which we think are not safe and prone to attacks in the areas close to the forest,” he stated.
Arzika, said the union had already closed down some schools, in areas tagged “unsafe” so far schools closed are totalled seven.
He described the move as a proactive measure to safeguard students and their teachers against another unfortunate incident.
“I am not talking about only boarding schools, but any school that is located along those danger zones, and is not safe. We would just ask the students to pack and go home, pending the time the situation normalises.
He has also applauded the efforts of the state government by trying to provide security for the various schools in the identified danger zones.
He also states that the government measures are not working well enough to safeguard students and teachers from bandit attacks, hence the school closure.
“Before now, the state government had recruited a large number of vigilance members to look over our schools, and we appreciate what the government has done.
“Some of these schools that I am talking about have policemen attached to them. Honestly, we are thankful to the government. The Chairman added.
On the FGC Yauri abduction, the NUT chairman disclosed that “Since the security agencies swung into action on the bandits, we are yet to make any fresh contact with the parents and relatives of the students and teachers who are in captivity.
“When we made our first contact two days ago, precisely on Thursday, they did not demand any ransom. Instead, they told the parents and relatives that they only wanted to establish contact with them and inform them that their children are with them.
“As I am talking to you, two of our teachers have regained their freedom already. And seven schools on the front line in those affected areas have been closed, they shall remain closed, till when the safety of staff and students is completely assured.