How set of twins, cousin, died after being locked indoors with burning candle in South Africa

0
64850

A set of twins, and their girl cousin all aged two, were burnt to death on Monday after being allegedly locked indoors with a burning candle by a caregiver in Amerfoort.

South African Police Service (SAPS) Mpumalanga spokesperson Colonel Donald Mdhluli, who confirmed the incident in a statement on Tuesday, August 17, said the toddlers, a set of twins ( A boy and a girl), and their girl cousin, were reportedly left in the care of a guardian who also left the kids alone to buy something at the shop, leaving them with a burning candle as the area does not have electricity.

“Moments later, neighbours saw flames and called for help. The guardian is said to have arrived and informed them that the children were inside the house. They (community members) managed to rescue one of the twins, the boy, whilst the two girls could not be saved and were later certified dead at the scene by medical personnel.” he stated.

READ ALSO: How intending couple mysteriously died after hanging out with friends in Imo

Mdhluli said the boy was rushed to the hospital where he’s currently receiving medical attention.

“An inquest case was registered at Amersfoort SAPS and the matter is being investigated,”

“Provincial commissioner of the South African Police Service in Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Semakaleng Manamela is disturbed by this incident and calls on parents and guardians to ensure that children are safe and cared for at all times,” he added.

The South African Police Service (SAPS) in Mpumalanga has appealed to parents and guardians to avoid leaving children unattended.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here