4 children die in fire incident in Lagos

0
40

Four (4) children belonging to a couple, Chukwudi and Bolani Micheal, have reportedly died after their room went up in flames on Tapa Road, Oke-Oko, Isawo, in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State.

According to reports, the incident occurred around 1:00am on Sunday, June 26, as one of the children, Jeremiah,12, died on the spot.

READ ALSO: Warehouse destroyed by fire in Lagos

The couple were said to be sleeping in their room with their eight-year-old surviving daughter, Esther, when the inferno started in the other room where the four boys slept.

The three other siblings: Prayer,18; Trust in God,14; and Ebube, 10, sustained severe burns and were rushed to a hospital, where they died a few days later.

The victims’ father, Chukwudi, said he woke up to the screaming of one of his children, who wascalling for help.

He said, “After waking up, I alerted neighbours who helped me to break the windows of the boys because their door was locked. We were able to rescue three of the boys from the fire, but one had already been burnt to death.

“We rushed them immediately to a hospital with the help of a neighbour’s car, but we eventually lost them.”

The 46-year-old noted that men of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service only came in the morning when the fire had been put out by neighbours.

However, the Public Education Officer of the state fire service, Amodu Shakir, stated that the fire was put out by firefighters, adding that five persons were rescued.

The couple noted that they were oblivious of how the fire started as anything that could start the fire had been put off.

Both the husband and wife also sustained varying degrees of burns and are treatment at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), in lkeja.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here