...Redifining Journalism for Development

Super Falcons vow to boycott World Cup if NFF fails to release match bonuses

266

Super Falcons vow to boycott World Cup if NFF fails to release match bonuses 

The Nigeria Super Falcons have vowed to stage a protest and boycott their opening group game against Canada in the forthcoming 2023 Women’s World Cup if their match bonuses will not be paid.

The decision was taken after six senior players — captain Onome Ebi, Rasheedat Ajibade, Asisat Oshoala, Ohale Osinachi, Tochukwu Oluehi and Desire Oparanozie — held a meeting on arrival at the Mercure Resorts, Gold Coast, according to Punch.

The meeting by the players was held after the General Secretary of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Dr Mohammed Sanusi told them their match bonuses for the competition had been cancelled by the federation.

READ ALSO: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria’s Super Falcons boycott training over unpaid match bonuses 

“We are going ahead to press for our demands,” a senior player told The PUNCH. “We are ready to go as far as missing our first game against Canada July 21 because this has to stop.

“On Wednesday night, we held a meeting where we agreed that we were going to find out if what we were asking for is legitimate, and that if it’s legitimate, we will press for our demands. It was what was agreed. The next meeting will be after we get the information we need and then the protest will start.”

It was gathered that shortly before the Nigerian contingent departed Abuja for Australia on Sunday, July 2, Sanusi, during a meeting with the players, told them that they would not be paid match bonuses by the federation, since FIFA had already announced that every player would get $30,000 in the group stage of the tournament in Australia and New Zealand.

In addition, the NFF announced that the players would no longer be given 30 per cent from the $1,560,000 FIFA grant to all member associations for the group stage of the competition.

This, however, took the players by surprise after the bombshell.

“The General Secretary came for the meeting clutching so many papers; he told us that we won’t be paid match bonuses at the World Cup because FIFA had already given each player $30,000 for the group stage. He also said we won’t get 30 per cent from the $1,560,000 FIFA would give the NFF.

“We were shocked, team morale went down immediately because we couldn’t believe what the man was saying,” the source said.

“One of the oldest players in the team asked him if FIFA would deduct the money ($30,000) they would give us from the $1.5m they gave the federation but he (Sanusi) said no. So, she said if its like that, then it shouldn’t affect our match bonuses. After several minutes of argument, Sanusi asked us if we would have preferred the $9,000 match bonus or the $30,000 from FIFA.”

The source debunked media reports that the head coach, Randy Waldrum had instigated the players to stage “a coup” against the Federation.

“That’s not true, it’s a ploy to distract Nigerians from the truth. Randy has no hand in this. We’ve been suffering this maltreatment and injustice long before he took charge of the team. When the team revolted after the 2018 WAFCON and the 2019 World Cup, was Randy with us? We are fighting a good cause, we don’t need anyone to push us. They should allow the coach do his job.

“Since the federation is treating us like this, we have decided to stage a protest before the competition begins, so that the whole world will know what we are passing through. We can’t keep suffering and smiling.

“At the last World Cup, the same thing happened and we were shortchanged, we won’t allow this to happen any longer. They dare not treat the Super Eagles like this. Is it because we are women? We must put a stop to this this time around.”

Leadership of the NFF – Gusau and Sanusi are yet to respond on the matter after reaching out to them.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.