...Redifining Journalism for Development

Djokovic reports successful knee operation with no return date set

Djokovic withdrew from the French Open after winning a five-set match against Francisco Cerundolo and went on to blame the “slippery” Roland Garros courts for aggravating the problem.

463

Djokovic reports successful knee operation with no return date set

Novak Djokovic revealed on Thursday that he has successfully undergone surgery on his right knee, which he injured during the French Open.

The tennis star stated that the operation was a success, but did not specify when he would be making his return to the court.

The 24-time Grand Slam champion was compelled to pull out of his quarter-final match at Roland Garros against Casper Ruud after scans uncovered a torn medial meniscus in his right knee.

“In the past day, I had to make some tough decisions after sustaining a meniscus tear during my last match,” he posted on social media.
“I’m still processing it all but I am happy to update you that the surgery went well.

READ ALSO: French Open: Nadal beats world number 1 Djokovic to reach men’s semi-finals

“I am so appreciative of the team of doctors who have been by my side as well as the overwhelming support I have received from my fans.”

The 37-year-old made no mention of whether he would be fit to take part at Wimbledon which begins on July 1 but added that he was going to “do my best to be healthy and fit to return to the court as soon as possible”.

“My love for this sport is strong and the desire to compete at the highest level is what keeps me going,” he added.

Djokovic withdrew from the French Open after winning a five-set match against Francisco Cerundolo and went on to blame the “slippery” Roland Garros courts for aggravating the problem.

“For the last couple weeks I have had, I would say, slight discomfort, I would call it that way, in the right knee, but I haven’t had an injury that would be concerning me at all,” Djokovic said after his record 370th win at a Grand Slam.

“I was playing a few tournaments with it, and no issues until today.”

Olympics the priority

The Cerundolo victory was Djokovic’s second five-setter in quick succession having come through a gruelling four-hour, 29-minute slog against Lorenzo Musetti in the third round that concluded at 3:07 am Sunday morning, the latest finish in French Open history.

Ruud, who lost to Djokovic in last year’s final, received a walkover and will now play Alexander Zverev in the semi-finals on Friday.

Djokovic’s injury-enforced exit from the tournament means that Jannik Sinner will become Italy’s first number one in the sport next week.

For the first time since 2004, the men’s final in Paris will not feature Djokovic, Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer.

Djokovic has long said he will prioritise the Olympic Games this summer as he chases an elusive singles gold, putting his status for Wimbledon in doubt.

“The Paris Olympics are very important, the Olympics have always been a priority for me,” Djokovic said in April ahead of the clay swing in Monte Carlo.

“It’s all about building my game for clay courts. I want to reach my peak for Paris – that’s where I want to play my best tennis. Anything else is a bonus, so let’s see what happens.”

Should he sit out Wimbledon it could be the first Grand Slam main draw not to feature Djokovic, Nadal, or Federer since the 1999 US Open.

Nadal lost in the first round at Roland Garros this year and revealed it was unlikely he would play on grass because the transition back to clay for the Olympics would be tough.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.