HomeLocalEducation#EndSARS: Lagos Gov't...

#EndSARS: Lagos Gov’t shuts down schools due to disruption

The Lagos government has directed school administrators to shut down due to the disruption caused by #EndSARS protests in the state.

Thousands of protesters have been protesting nationwide for two weeks to demand the scrapping of the notorious Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) for numerous acts of brutality against citizens.

Even though the NPF dissolved the unit one week into the protests, protesters remain unsatisfied and have demanded more be done to end police brutality in general.

Numerous strategic locations in Lagos have been shut down by protesters for over a week, causing disruption for motorists.

READ ALSO: #EndSARS: LASG to consider closure of schools over protest as NECO reschedules exam

The state’s Commissioner for Education, Folasade Adefisayo, said on Monday, October 19, 2020 that schools will remain shut down till further notice.

She encouraged schools to use means of distance teaching and learning to keep their students engaged. “The safety of the pupils/students, parents and all staff working in schools is paramount at this critical period,” the commissioner said.

Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has called on #EndSARS protesters to leave the roads and embrace dialogue

Schools had only just resumed in September after they were shut down nationwide in March to combat the spread of COVID-19.

State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, earlier on Monday appealed to #EndSARS protesters to suspend demonstrations and engage in dialogue with the government.

He said the government has shown commitment to responding to their demands and dialogue should be sustained in place of the demonstrations. “I believe that some of the actions we have taken should, to a large extent, show our sincerity and willingness to address all your concerns,” he said.

At least 15 protesters have been killed, and many assaulted by police officers since the protests started two weeks ago. Hoodlums have also attacked the protesters in Lagos and Abuja, and Edo, killing some protesters and injuring others.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Debacle of Honourable Zainab Gimba: A challenge to democratic credentials of Governor Zulum, by Ayuba Ahmad 

Debacle of Honourable Zainab Gimba: A challenge to democratic credentials of Governor Zulum, by Ayuba Ahmad  In a chat with journalists in Lagos, the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Professor Netanwe Goshwe Yilwatda described the party's ongoing...

Hypertension: The silent killer, by Falmata Maaji Muhammad

Hypertension: The silent killer, by Falmata Maaji Muhammad Story by Falmata Maaji Muhammad (Student at Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt) High blood pressure (hypertension) is something we hear about often. But why is it called the silent killer? According to the World Health...

After ₦2 million reintegration package, DSS plans additional support for Yobe youth cleared of wrongdoing

After ₦2 million reintegration package, DSS plans additional support for Yobe youth cleared of wrongdoing Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu Fresh details have emerged indicating that the ₦2 million earlier handed over to Mr Ya’u Mohammed by the Department of State...