Home2023 electionEx-president Jonathan urges...

Ex-president Jonathan urges candidates to concede defeat when necessary 

Ex-president Jonathan urges candidates to concede defeat when necessary 

Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has urged all presidential candidates and political party leaders to respect Nigerians’ right to vote by conceding loss if they do not win.

Jonathan said this during the third peace deal signing ceremony for all political party leaders and their presidential candidates, organised by the National Peace Committee on Wednesday in Abuja.

The former president, represented by Matthew Kukah of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, said this was the time for the candidates and party leaders to demonstrate goodwill.

“Our country needs a stable and reliable democracy to be able to adequately address its challenges and provide the desired leadership that meets the expectations of our teeming populace. The world looks up to us to get our democracy right and become a force to be reckoned with in the leadership recruitment and governance process,” the former president explained.

He added, “We need peaceful elections to give democracy a boost on the continent, especially in our sub-region where the civil rule is threatened by a wave of unconstitutional change of government.

“I, therefore, call on all the presidential candidates, the party chairmen, and members of all the political parties to please respect the voice of Nigerians and embrace the politics of peace.”

He recalled that in the build-up to the 2015 general elections, he and President Muhammadu Buhari signed a similar accord, committing themselves to free, fair, credible, and peaceful elections.

“We also made it very clear in the second Peace Accord that we would abide by the outcome of the votes. I believed that was the way to strengthen our democracy, stave off looming violence and bring peace to our nation,” stated Mr Jonathan.

“There is no better time to make this commitment than now, given the considerable levels of tension and apprehension so far experienced, in the build-up to the elections.

Mr Jonathan urged the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to do its best to ensure the elections are free, fair, and credible, urging the police and other security agencies not to compromise themselves in the course of carrying out their duties, now, during and after elections.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Water Shortage: Kano gov orders action in Warawa LG – Commissioner for Environment

Water Shortage: Kano gov orders action in Warawa LG - Commissioner for Environment Story from Jamilu Lawan Yakasai Kano State Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf has ordered immediate action to address severe water shortages in Talawa, Ba'awa, and Dinyari communities in Warawa...

Police arraign hit-and-run driver for killing 32-year-old tech CEO

Police arraign hit-and-run driver for killing 32-year-old tech CEO The Lagos State Police Command has confirmed the arraignment of Abiola Odutayo for reckless driving, which resulted in the death of Bumpa co-founder Teejay Opayele. The incident happened on March 4, 2025,...

Four Nigerian businessmen make 2025 Africa’s billionaires’ list

Four Nigerian businessmen make 2025 Africa's billionaires' list Nigeria’s wealthiest businessmen, Aliko Dangote, Mike Adenuga, Abdulsamad Rabiu, and Femi Otedola, have emerged as the only Nigerians on the 2025 ‘Africa’s Billionaires List’ compiled by Forbes, which was released on Saturday. Once...