HomeNewsGunmen demand ₦7m...

Gunmen demand ₦7m as ransom for kidnapped Ondo worker

Gunmen demand ₦7m as ransom for kidnapped Ondo worker

Story by Jessica Mbamah

Gunmen have demanded a ransom of ₦7 million for the release of Mr. Niyi Eleyinmi, the Faculty Officer of the Faculty of Education at Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko (AAUA), Ondo State, who was abducted earlier this week.

Eleyinmi was reportedly kidnapped on Monday evening while returning from work. Witnesses said the assailants, who had laid an ambush at his residence, seized him as he alighted from a commercial motorcycle in Akungba. The attackers, who shot sporadically to scare off residents, whisked him away to an undisclosed location.

A family source revealed that the abductors contacted Eleyinmi’s family on Thursday to negotiate the ransom. The source added that on Wednesday, the kidnappers allowed the victim’s wife to briefly speak with him to confirm that he was still alive.

READ ALSO: Gunmen hijack Benue Links bus, kidnap passengers

According to the source, the abductors initially demanded ₦100 million but later reduced the amount to ₦7 million following several pleas and negotiations.

In response, the AAUA Alumni Association, of which Eleyinmi is a member, has launched an urgent fundraising campaign to help secure his release. In a statement issued by the association’s Global Publicity Secretary, O’Seun Ogunsakin, members and the public were urged to make donations.

“Distinguished Alumni, I am sure most of you have heard about the kidnap of one of us, Niyi Eleyinmi,” the statement read. “The kidnappers have demanded ₦7 million, and we have just 24 hours to raise the sum. Kindly make your donation into the provided account to enable us secure his release.”

READ ALSO: Kidnappers to die by hanging in Ondo – Govt

When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Olayinka Ayanlade, confirmed the abduction and said Commissioner of Police Adebowale Lawal had directed tactical commanders to ensure Eleyinmi’s safe rescue and to apprehend those behind the crime.

Ondo State has in recent months witnessed a surge in abduction cases despite security efforts. In June, two AAUA students were kidnapped and later killed, a development that sparked outrage on campus. More recently, a female student was found dead in a male student’s room in Akungba, prompting protests from students.

The police have continued to maintain their stance against ransom payment, insisting that their priority is to secure victims’ release through tactical operations.

READ ALSO: Six Nigerian law school students kidnapped, ₦20million ransom demanded

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Neptune Prime Weekly Magazine (07 – 08 Feb 2026)

NEPTUNE PRINE E-COPY 14.02.2026 (1)NEPTUNE PRINE E-COPY 14.02.2026 (1)

Key achievements, challenges highlighted as BASICO alumni hold 3rd Annual General Meeting

Key achievements, challenges highlighted as BASICO alumni hold 3rd Annual General Meeting The Alumni Association of the School of Basic Studies, ABU Zaria (Basico Alumni), held its third Annual General Meeting (AGM) virtually on January 15, 2026. The meeting featured...

The interconnected challenge of drug abuse and gambling in Nigeria, by Ojoma Omale

The interconnected challenge of drug abuse and gambling in Nigeria, by Ojoma Omale The fight against illicit drugs in Nigeria has been persistent, intensified, and increasingly impossible to ignore. Over the years, the Nigerian government, through the National Drug Law...