HomeNewsNiger government blames...

Niger government blames Catholic school for abduction of students

Niger government blames Catholic school for abduction of students

Story by Susan Mbamah 

The Niger State Government on Friday condemned the kidnapping of pupils from St. Mary’s School in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area.

Officials said the incident occurred during a midnight raid in which several students were taken by armed attackers.

According to Ahmed Abdullahi Rofia, Head of Disaster and Relief for Agwara LGA, the gunmen struck between 2:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. He added that the exact number of abducted pupils and staff was still being verified.

READ ALSO: Niger government didn’t ban sale, consumption of alcohol – Gov. Bago

In a statement issued by the Secretary to the State Government, Abubakar Usman, the State Government explained that it had previously received credible intelligence warning of heightened security threats in parts of Niger North Senatorial District.

The government said it had earlier suspended all construction work and ordered the temporary closure of boarding schools in the area as a precaution. However, St. Mary’s School allegedly reopened without notifying or obtaining clearance from authorities, a move the government described as exposing students and staff to avoidable danger.

Security agencies have since launched investigations and search-and-rescue operations aimed at securing the safe return of the abducted children.

READ ALSO: Niger State Government reverses stance on Badeggi FM, reaffirms commitment to press freedom

The government urged school proprietors, community leaders, and residents to adhere strictly to security advisories and cooperate fully with security agencies to safeguard lives, especially those of children.

This incident comes on the heels of a similar kidnapping in Maga, Kebbi State, where 25 students were abducted, and amid rising insecurity affecting schools across the region.

On Thursday, more than 50 schools in Kwara State were shut due to bandit attacks, prompting President Bola Tinubu to cancel foreign trips to coordinate the national response to the worsening crisis.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Hypertension: The silent killer, by Falmata Maaji Muhammad

Hypertension: The silent killer, by Falmata Maaji Muhammad Story by Falmata Maaji Muhammad (Student at Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt) High blood pressure (hypertension) is something we hear about often. But why is it called the silent killer? According to the World Health...

After ₦2 million reintegration package, DSS plans additional support for Yobe youth cleared of wrongdoing

After ₦2 million reintegration package, DSS plans additional support for Yobe youth cleared of wrongdoing Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu Fresh details have emerged indicating that the ₦2 million earlier handed over to Mr Ya’u Mohammed by the Department of State...

Tinubu wins Yobe APC presidential primary, garners over 250,000 votes

Tinubu wins Yobe APC presidential primary, garners over 250,000 votes Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu In a stunning show of political confidence, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has swept the entire APC presidential primary election in Yobe State, winning all 178 wards...