HomeNewsLocalTinubu cancels 2023...

Tinubu cancels 2023 birthday colloquium, calls for national prayers, thanksgiving

Tinubu cancels 2023 birthday colloquium, calls for national prayers, thanksgiving

Nigeria’s president-elect, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has cancelled his yearly birthday colloquium and directed that that special prayers and thanksgiving service be held on Wednesday March 29, 2023.

This was disclosed in a statement issued on Monday from the Office of the President-elect and signed by Tunde Rahman.

READ ALSO: Buhari, Tinubu celebrate VP Osinbajo on 66th birthday

The president-elect said the date, which falls within the holy month of Ramadan, should be dedicated to prayers and seeking God’s guidance for him and the country as he prepares to take the reins of leadership.

According to the statement, the special prayers will be held in Lagos and in other parts of the country.

The statement indicated that for the main event in Lagos, special prayers will be offered at the Central Mosque in each of the five divisions in the state – Ikorodu, Ikeja, Epe, Badagry, and Lagos Island, including the Central Mosque, Alausa, Ikeja.

The statement reads in part, “During the prayer sessions, special prayers will be offered for the peace, unity and progress of Nigeria.

“Also to receive prayers among others are President Muhammadu Buhari and First Lady Aisha Buhari, President-elect Tinubu and his wife, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, Vice President-elect Senator Kashim Shettima and Hajia Nana Shettima, Governor Babajide Sanwo-olu, other state governors as well as members of National and State Houses of Assembly.

“According to an announcement by the organisers of the prayer sessions issued by Imam Akeem Kosoko, the session at Alausa Central Mosque will begin at 10am on Wednesday and will include delivery of sermons and reading from the Holy Quran.”

Recall in 2020, the 12th edition of the colloquium marking Asíwájú’s 68th birthday was put off to empathize with those who lost their lives or affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Also, last year, the birthday symposium was called off by Asíwájú Tinubu right at the venue of the event when news emerged of the terror attack on the Abuja-Kaduna train in which several persons died and many others abducted.

The Eko Hotel and Suites, Lagos venue was already filled to capacity with dignitaries to celebrate the birthday when Asíwájú took to the podium to announce the cancellation of the event.

The former Governor of Lagos had said it would not be proper for him as a statesman to be celebrating when such a tragedy had befallen the nation.

“For me to be here celebrating, dancing and enjoying myself, does not speak of me as a senior citizen of this country. I asked that the cleric should rather engage in prayers. This event should not be holding,” Tinubu had said on the occasion.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Ronaldo provides his Marrakech hotel for earthquake victims as death toll rises above 2,000

Ronaldo provides his Marrakech hotel for earthquake victims as death toll rises above 2,000   Portugal international, Cristiano Ronaldo, has made his hotel, Pestana CR7 in Marrakech available as shelter for victims after a 7.2 magnitude earthquake tore a larger part...

NGO berates professional conduct over patient with missing intestine

NGO berates professional conduct over patient with missing intestine   A Non-governmental Organisation (NGO), Women Arise for Change Initiative, has frowned at the level of professionalism by some doctors following the removal of a 13-year-old boy's small intestine in Lagos. It would...

Osimhen to contest 2023 Ballon d’Or with Messi, Mbappe, Benzema, Haaland 

Osimhen to contest 2023 Ballon d'Or with Messi, Mbappe, Benzema, Haaland  Nigeria international and SSC Napoli goal machine, Victor Osimhen, will battle with Argentine great and World Cup winner, Lionel Messi for the 2023 Ballon d'Or.  Neptune Prime reports that Osimhen...