Heroic parrot honoured with Animal Lifesaver Award for saving choking toddler
A heroic parrot named Willie has been awarded the esteemed Animal Lifesaver Award by the local Red Cross chapter after he saved a little girl from choking on her breakfast.
Megan Howard, Willie’s owner, was babysitting the toddler, Hannah when the incident occurred in November.
While Howard briefly left the room, Hannah started choking, and it was Willie’s loud cries of “Mama, baby” and his flapping wings that alerted Howard to the danger.
Rushing back in, Howard discovered that Hannah was already turning blue.
Acting swiftly, she performed the Heimlich manoeuvre, ultimately saving Hannah’s life.
However, Howard humbly insists that Willie is the true hero in this story.
Hannah’s mother, Samantha Kuusk, shared the terrifying moment when her daughter turned blue and expressed her gratitude for Willie’s life-saving actions.
The touching event took place during a “Breakfast of Champions” ceremony attended by prominent figures including Governor Bill Ritter and Mayor John Hickenlooper.