...Redifining Journalism for Development

Death toll reaches 18 in Borno multiple suicide attacks

It will be recalled that the state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Nahum Daso, had on Saturday confirmed eight persons dead with 15 others sustaining critical injuries in the attacks.

416

Death toll reaches 18 in Borno multiple suicide attacks

The Borno State Emergency Management Agency (BOSEMA) said death toll from the Saturday’s multiple suicide bomb attacks in Gwoza Town of Gwoza local government area on Saturday has risen to 18, while 19 others were confirmed to have sustained various degrees of injuries.

It will be recalled that the state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Nahum Daso, had on Saturday confirmed eight persons dead with 15 others sustaining critical injuries in the attacks.

READ ALSO: Soldier, many others killed in Borno as nursing mother, three others detonate bombs

However, an update by the Director General of BOSEMA, Dr. Barkindo Saidu, which was made available to journalists on Sunday revealed that the figure of the dead as at Saturday night had risen to 18, while the 19 who sustained various degrees injuries are receiving treatment at hospitals in Maiduguri.

Dr. Saidu, said in his presence, at about exactly 3pm on Saturday, the first bomb blast in Gwoza occurred which was detonated by a female suicide bomber in the midst of a wedding ceremony.

He added that more than 30 persons were affected with various levels of injuries and instant deaths.

Saidu further said some minutes later, another blast occurred around General Hospital in the same town.

“Again, at the funeral services (janaiza) for the earlier attacks, another lady rushed into the congregation and detonated another one with one lot of casualties. We were in the hospital coordinating the rescue mission, and another one exploded from a female teenager.

“So far, 18 deaths occurred comprising children, adult male, females, and pregnant women. Nineteen (19) seriously injured were conveyed to Maiduguri in four ambulances, 23 are waiting for military escort in the Medical Regimental Services (MRS) Clinic.

“I am now coordinating for chopper this night. I have mobilised emergency drugs to complement the shortage of drugs in Gwoza. I am in Gwoza myself.

The degree of injuries ranges from abdominal ruptures, scull fractures, and limb fractures. Also, I received a report that there is a suspected suicide bomber in Pulka,” said the DG BOSEMA.

As of Sunday morning, a source from the BOSEMA who craved anonymity said the death toll might surpass 18 considering the magnitude of the injuries sustained by the victims.

However, impeccable sources alleged that over 25 dead bodies may have been picked up from the three locations before the military shut down the LGA headquarters with a curfew at dusk which kept residents indoors from late evenings on Saturday.

Several residents were also reported to have suffered degrees of injuries and were first taken to the Gwoza General Hospital before later being rushed to the hospitals in Maiduguri.

Journalists report that Gwoza was one of the local government areas previously captured by the Boko Haram terrorists at the peak of the insurgency and where it declared a caliphate before the military routed them out from the LGA.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.