HomeNewsLocalHow Benue gov...

How Benue gov hindered my visit to sympathise with IDPs – Peter Obi

How Benue gov hindered my visit to sympathise with IDPs – Peter Obi

Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the 2023 elections, has revealed that he was blocked from visiting Benue by the state government.

In a statement on Monday, Hyacinth Alia, Governor of Benue State, said he could not guarantee the safety of any individual or group visiting the state without approval from relevant authorities.

Speaking about the development, Obi, who intended to visit both Plateau and Benue states to support the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), expressed his frustration over the situation.

Obi said he had scheduled his visit to Plateau on Sunday, April 13, and Benue on Monday, April 14, noting his attempts to reach the governor were unsuccessful.

READ ALSO: Plateau Killings: Peter Obi visits Gov Mutfwang, donates ₦7.5m to victims

“I tried repeatedly to contact the Benue state governor directly without success,” he wrote on X.

“I then successfully contacted his ADC, who told me that the governor was in a very important meeting and would call me before midnight on the same day.

“Unfortunately, I didn’t get that call until Sunday evening when he sent me a message stating he had not been able to reach his principal since the day I called.

“I was disturbed by how an ADC would not have been able to reach his principal for 3 days.”

The former presidential candidate said while he was already on his way to Benue, his security team was informed by authorities in the state that they could not assure the safety of any visitors.

“However, because my visit to the governor was just for courtesy and respect, I decided to proceed with my trip to Makurdi,” Obi said.

“Earlier today at 7am, I left Jos, and on reaching Akwanga at about 10am, my security team stopped and stated they received a press statement, purportedly from the Benue State Government, that appeared designed to stop my trip.

“Curiously, while I was still talking with my security team on the issue, the governor’s ADC sent the statement directly to me.

“The letter refers exactly to my itinerary, which I had earlier conveyed to the ADC directly and to the security operatives in Benue through my own security.”

He reiterated that his visit was driven purely by humanitarian motives, aimed at supporting critical areas of development, including health care, education, and the welfare of displaced Nigerians.

The former governor of Anambra said he had remained devoted to initiatives for the common good.

“People may recall how, during the Haiti earthquake, I had to seek permission from then President Goodluck Jonathan to travel and offer support,” he said.

He said his intended engagements in Benue included a visit to a school under construction by the bishop in Gboko, a nursing school, and an IDP camp.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

After ₦2 million reintegration package, DSS plans additional support for Yobe youth cleared of wrongdoing

After ₦2 million reintegration package, DSS plans additional support for Yobe youth cleared of wrongdoing Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu Fresh details have emerged indicating that the ₦2 million earlier handed over to Mr Ya’u Mohammed by the Department of State...

Tinubu wins Yobe APC presidential primary, garners over 250,000 votes

Tinubu wins Yobe APC presidential primary, garners over 250,000 votes Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu In a stunning show of political confidence, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has swept the entire APC presidential primary election in Yobe State, winning all 178 wards...

The Alausa Takeover: Examining Tinubu’s politics of exclusion, by Engr. Bello Gwarzo Abdullahi, FNSE

The Alausa Takeover: Examining Tinubu’s politics of exclusion, by Engr. Bello Gwarzo Abdullahi, FNSE Professor Farooq Kperogi’s recent commentary, “Tinubu’s Baffling Northern Exclusion Strategy,” touches a sensitive national nerve that goes far beyond the North. What initially appeared to be...