HomeHealthMonkeypox Outbreak: NDDC...

Monkeypox Outbreak: NDDC confirms 558 cases, 8 deaths

Monkeypox Outbreak: NDDC confirms 558 cases, 8 deaths

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed the circulation of the Monkeypox virus with 558 cases and eight deaths in 32 states of the federation.

This follows a report by the United Kingdom Health Security Agency (UKHSA) that a person in England had been diagnosed with the disease.

The UKHSA said the patient had recently travelled from Nigeria and is currently receiving care at the Infectious Disease Unit of Guy’s and St. Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust in London.

Monkeypox is a rare viral infection, which kills one in every 10 patients, but does not spread swiftly. It is usually a mild self-limiting illness and most people recover within a few weeks, but severe illness could occur in some individuals.

Director of Clinical and Emerging Infections, UKHSA, Dr Colin Brown, said: “It is important to emphasise that monkeypox does not spread easily between people, and the overall risk to the general public is very low.

An epidemiological summary on the ailment published, yesterday, by the NCDC, pointed out that since September 2017, Nigeria has continued to report sporadic cases of the disease, with a National Technical Working Group (TWG) monitoring infections and strengthening preparedness/response capacity.

The centre said 46 suspected infections were reported between January 1 and April 30 this year in addition to 15 confirmed cases from seven states –Adamawa (three), Lagos (three), Cross River (two), Abuja (two), Kano (two), Delta (two) and Imo (one) – but no death had been recorded.

The NCDC said 10 new suspected cases in April were reported from seven states – Bayelsa (three), Lagos (two), Kano (one), FCT (one), Delta (one), Edo (one) and Ogun (one).

The five new positive cases in the month were confirmed from four states – Lagos (two), FCT (one), Kano (one) and Delta (one).

From September 2017 to April 30, 2022, a total of 558 suspected cases were reported from 32 states.

It noted that of the reported cases, 241 (43.2 per cent) have been confirmed in 22 states – Rivers (52), Bayelsa (43), Lagos (33), Delta (31), Cross River (16), Edo (10), Imo (nine), Akwa Ibom (seven), Oyo (six), FCT (eight), Enugu (four), Abia (three), Plateau (three), Adamawa (three), Nasarawa (two), Benue (two), Anambra (two), Ekiti (two), Kano (two), Ebonyi (one), Niger (one) and Ogun (one).

The NCDC said eight deaths have been recorded with a Case Fatality Ratio (CFR) of 3.3 per cent in six states – namely Edo (two), Lagos (two), Imo (one), Cross River (one), FCT (one) and Rivers (one) – from September 2017 to April 30, 2022.

Meanwhile, the UKHSA confirmed case is the seventh in Britain. The disease was first detected in the UK in 2018 after another traveller brought the virus back from Nigeria and spread it to two other people, including one NHS nurse, who caught it from bed linen.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Debacle of Honourable Zainab Gimba: A challenge to democratic credentials of Governor Zulum, by Ayuba Ahmad 

Debacle of Honourable Zainab Gimba: A challenge to democratic credentials of Governor Zulum, by Ayuba Ahmad  In a chat with journalists in Lagos, the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Professor Netanwe Goshwe Yilwatda described the party's ongoing...

Hypertension: The silent killer, by Falmata Maaji Muhammad

Hypertension: The silent killer, by Falmata Maaji Muhammad Story by Falmata Maaji Muhammad (Student at Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt) High blood pressure (hypertension) is something we hear about often. But why is it called the silent killer? According to the World Health...

After ₦2 million reintegration package, DSS plans additional support for Yobe youth cleared of wrongdoing

After ₦2 million reintegration package, DSS plans additional support for Yobe youth cleared of wrongdoing Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu Fresh details have emerged indicating that the ₦2 million earlier handed over to Mr Ya’u Mohammed by the Department of State...