HomeNCCNCC okays 50%...

NCC okays 50% tariff hike for telecom operators

NCC okays 50% tariff hike for telecom operators

Story by Dajen Comfort Yakubu

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has approved a 50% tariff adjustment for telecom operators, citing rising operational costs and the need to sustain the industry.

The approval, announced in a statement on Monday, is significantly lower than the over 100% increase requested by some network providers.

According to the NCC, the adjustment aligns with its mandate under Section 108 of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003, to regulate and approve tariff rates.

READ ALSO: FG: Telecom companies to raise tariffs, but not by 100%

“The adjustment, capped at a maximum of 50 percent of current tariffs, though lower than the over 100 percent requested by some network operators, was arrived at taking into account ongoing industry reforms that will positively influence sustainability,” the NCC said in a statement.

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Bosun Tijani, had earlier hinted that the government would not approve a 100% tariff increase, citing the need to balance consumer protection with industry sustainability.

“We’ve already made it clear we are not going to approve a 100 per cent. These companies are asking for 100 per cent stating clearly that this is what they believe they need to get,” Tijani said.

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has authorized telecommunications companies to disconnect the Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) codes assigned to nine financial institutions.

The affected banks have failed to comply with regulatory directives to settle outstanding invoices due to mobile network operators (MNOs).

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

DSS releases wrongfully detained young man in Yobe, offers ₦2 million for reintegration

DSS releases wrongfully detained young man in Yobe, offers ₦2 million for reintegration Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The Department of State Services (DSS) under the leadership of Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi (MON) has released a young man, Mr Ya’u Mohammed, from...

Committee officially announces Baba Malam Wali as APC governorship candidate in Yobe

Committee officially announces Baba Malam Wali as APC governorship candidate in Yobe Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The All Progressives Congress (APC) Governorship Primary Election Committee has officially announced Alhaji Baba Malam Wali as the party's flag bearer for the 2027...

Gadaka calls for sustained APC victory as Alhaji Baba Malam Wali emerges winner of governorship primary

Gadaka calls for sustained APC victory as Alhaji Baba Malam Wali emerges winner of governorship primary Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The Yobe State Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Alhaji Mohammad Gadaka, on Thursday cast his vote at Goge...