HomeInternationalAllies, adversaries reject...

Allies, adversaries reject Trump’s suggestion for US ‘take over’ of Gaza Strip (Video)

Allies, adversaries reject Trump’s suggestion for US ‘take over’ of Gaza Strip (Video)

US President Donald Trump’s proposal to seize control of Gaza and relocate its entire population has been met with swift and widespread rejection from Washington’s allies and adversaries, sparking intense global condemnation.

At a joint press conference with prime minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday, Trump said Washington would take over control of the Gaza Strip— possibly with the help of American troops— to create a “Riviera of the Middle East.” He earlier suggested that displaced Palestinians could be resettled elsewhere.

His remarks immediately sparked global condemnation, with European allies, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Egypt rejecting the displacement of Palestinians and reiterating their calls for a two-state solution.

Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement that “Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has affirmed the kingdom’s position in ‘a clear and explicit manner’ that does not allow for any interpretation under any circumstances.”

READ ALSO: Trump suspends parcels from China as tariff war escalates

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty called for a swift reconstruction of the territory “without the Palestinians leaving.”

Turkey’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan called Trump’s proposal “unacceptable,” saying relocating Palestinians from Gaza was something “neither we nor the region can accept.”

“It is wrong to even bring it up for discussion.”
Foreign ministers from several European countries have also come out against Trump, saying relocation of Palestinians is against international law.

Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares said, “I want to be very clear on this: “Gaza is the land of Gazan Palestinians and they must stay in Gaza.”

“Gaza is part of the future Palestinian state Spain supports and has to coexist guaranteeing the Israeli state’s prosperity and safety.”

German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said, “A displacement of the Palestinian civilian population from Gaza would not just be unacceptable and against international law. This would also lead to new suffering and new hatred.”

France foreign ministry spokesman Christophe Lemoine reiterates Paris’s “opposition to any forced displacement of the Palestinian population of Gaza, which would constitute a serious violation of international law,” and “ major obstacle to the two-state solution.”

Prime Minister of Britain Keir Starmer said the people of Gaza “must be allowed home, they must be allowed to rebuild, and we should be with them in that rebuild on the way to a two-state solution.”

Russia and China also rejected the resettlement of the people of Gaza as both Moscow and Beijing believe a settlement in West Asia is only possible based on a two-state solution.

In reference to Trump’s claim that the US would take over Gaza, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said “legitimate Palestinian rights are not negotiable.”

The UN Human Rights Office (UNHCR) warned Washington that any forcible transfer in or deportation of people from occupied territory breaches international law.

“It is crucial that we move towards the next phase of the ceasefire, to release all hostages and arbitrarily detained prisoners, end the war and reconstruct Gaza, with full respect for international humanitarian law and international human rights law,” said the UNHR in a statement.

“Any forcible transfer in or deportation of people from occupied territory is strictly prohibited.”

When Trump told Netanyahu that Gaza could become “the Riviera of the Middle East” where “the world’s people” could live there, he was actually echoing the previous comments of his son-in-law Jared Kushner, who said last year Gaza had very valuable “waterfront property.”

Kushner said Israel should bulldoze an area of the Negev desert in southern occupied territories and move Palestinians there while it “cleans up” the strip.

And in a telephone call last year, Trump reportedly asked Netanyahu about building new hotels out of the rubble in Gaza.

Watch video below:

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

What will they eat when they finish the money?, by Azu Ishiekwene

What will they eat when they finish the money?, by Azu Ishiekwene   The grave is never satisfied, but other things compete with it for insatiability. I can’t help feeling that some members of Nigeria’s National Assembly will vie for the...

Gaza Truce Brings ‘Joy and Pain’: Palestinians celebrate deal while confronting immense grief

Gaza Truce Brings 'Joy and Pain': Palestinians celebrate deal while confronting immense grief ‎ Story by Susan Mbamah  ‎ ‎Palestinians in Gaza reacted to news of a potential truce with a complex mixture of celebration and sorrow, as the prospect of peace forces...

WhatsApp to replace phone numbers with usernames

WhatsApp to replace phone numbers with usernames ‎ ‎Story by Susan Mbamah  ‎ WhatsApp is testing a significant update that would allow users to connect and chat without having to share their phone numbers. The new feature will let users create unique usernames,...