HomeDisasterFCT residents cry...

FCT residents cry out as heavy flood destroys properties, sweeps man away

FCT residents cry out as heavy flood destroys properties, sweeps man away

Residents of Gudu and Gaduwa communities in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have cried out for government intervention following a heavy downpour which led to flooding in the early hours of Wednesday.

A resident identified as Dauwa is still missing, while several properties and houses have been destroyed as a result of the flood.

According to a eyewitness, Isah Musa, the victim, Dauwa, resides in the Gudu area of Abuja and was carried away by the flood at about 8:00 am.

The witness said after the flood brought down a fence within the area, Dauwa and some other residents were going to inspect the damage when he was carried away by the water.

“We saw that somebody’s fence had been brought down by the rain. There were four of us and we went to check if there was further damage. Three of us had crossed the water. He (Dauwa) was the fourth, but then the water carried him before he could cross over. We’ve searched everywhere, but we haven’t found him,” he said.

In the Gaduwa part of the city, residents, including traders, lost several properties and goods to the flood.

Halidu Audu sells both fairly used and new building materials in the area. Most of his goods had been washed away by the flood.

“Every time the rain is heavy, the rain washes away my goods. My workers have to go into the water to try and salvage whatever is left,” he said.

Flooding has been a recurring situation in some parts of the FCT. In 2021, five residents of Abuja died in a flood which hit some parts of Lugbe. Residents of Trademore Estate in Lugbe also lost several properties in the flood.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

DSS releases wrongfully detained young man in Yobe, offers ₦2 million for reintegration

DSS releases wrongfully detained young man in Yobe, offers ₦2 million for reintegration Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The Department of State Services (DSS) under the leadership of Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi (MON) has released a young man, Mr Ya’u Mohammed, from...

Committee officially announces Baba Malam Wali as APC governorship candidate in Yobe

Committee officially announces Baba Malam Wali as APC governorship candidate in Yobe Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The All Progressives Congress (APC) Governorship Primary Election Committee has officially announced Alhaji Baba Malam Wali as the party's flag bearer for the 2027...

Gadaka calls for sustained APC victory as Alhaji Baba Malam Wali emerges winner of governorship primary

Gadaka calls for sustained APC victory as Alhaji Baba Malam Wali emerges winner of governorship primary Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The Yobe State Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Alhaji Mohammad Gadaka, on Thursday cast his vote at Goge...