Residents flee Uromi, neighbouring towns following mob attack on 16 travellers

0
320
An abandoned community

Residents flee Uromi, neighbouring towns following mob attack on 16 travellers

Communities around Old Ilushi Road, Opere, and Good Will Junction in Uromi, Edo State, have been deserted by residents for fear of reprisals and arrests by security agents, following the lynching of 16 northern travellers by a mob in the area last week.

This came as Governor Monday Okpebholo of Edo State on Monday arrived in Kano State and assured that justice will prevail for those killed in the mob attack.

The governor also visited the Deputy Senate President, Senator Barau Jibrin (APC, Kano North), where he said the 14 suspects so far arrested in connection with the killings, would soon be moved to Abuja for further interrogation.

READ ALSO: Edo killings: Governor Yusuf demands public parade of suspects, compensation for victims

It was gathered that residents of Uromi and environs have also stopped going to their farms, with many seeking refuge in neighbouring towns.

Some residents who spoke with journalists shared circumstances that led to the mob action.

A resident who simply gave his name as Monday, said: “The vigilante group received information from areas on the stretch of Old Ilushi road, from where the travellers were coming, that they had weapons in their vehicle.

“Nobody justified the action. However, those who took part in the mob action have fled, while innocent individuals have been arrested.

“On Saturday, the police arrested a young man riding a GLK motorcycle near Opere Secondary School, where a wedding ceremony was taking place. The man claimed he was unaware of the previous day’s events.

“The area remains deserted, with few motorbikes passing through. However, at around 12 noon on Monday (yesterday), police returned to arrest more people. The community has been plagued by incessant kidnappings.

READ ALSO: Mob burns 16 northern travellers to death after labelling them kidnappers

“In the latest incident, a young lady was kidnapped in front of her gate on Sunday, March 30, 2025. Her captors had yet to call for ransom as of 2pm today (yesterday).’’

Meanwhile, some residents, especially youths, have been quietly leaving the town for fear of reprisal and arrests by security agents.

Another resident, who introduced himself as Peter, said his cousin “has been actively involved in securing the town but noted that on this particular day, he was not around.

“He came into town after the incident but when he saw the way people were being arrested, he had to flee because he would have been arrested.

“Some other people have also left town because of fear that there could be reprisals, like we heard that earlier today (yesterday) there was panic in Ekpoma.”

“It was also learned that there was commotion in Ekpoma Market earlier yesterday, as information filtered in that the some militants were planning to invade the town, which is not too far from Uromi.

He said motorists were said to have made U-turns when the rumour came that the market was about to be attacked.

“It was, however, gathered that security personnel were immediately mobilised to the area to restore normalcy.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here