HomeNewsInternationalWHO ‘regrets’ US...

WHO ‘regrets’ US decision to withdraw from organisation

WHO ‘regrets’ US decision to withdraw from organisation

The World Health Organization (WHO) expressed regret on Tuesday following US President Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw the United States from the UN health agency, made just hours after his inauguration. The WHO hoped that the US would “reconsider” its decision.

Trump signed an executive order on Monday directing the US to exit the WHO, criticizing the organization for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Speaking shortly after taking office, Trump claimed the United States was contributing far more financial support to the WHO than China, and referred to the organization as “World Health” for allegedly taking advantage of the US.

READ ALSO: Trump withdraws US from World Health Organization

The US is the largest financial contributor to the Geneva-based WHO, and its withdrawal could significantly affect the agency’s operations. WHO spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic stated on Tuesday that the agency regretted the decision and emphasized the importance of the WHO in protecting global health, including the health of Americans.

“We hope the United States will reconsider and look forward to engaging in constructive dialogue to maintain the partnership between the USA and WHO for the benefit of the health and well-being of millions around the world,” Jasarevic said.

The move to withdraw is expected to lead to major restructuring at the WHO and potentially disrupt global health initiatives. This is the second time Trump has sought to distance the US from the WHO. In his first term, the US issued a notice to withdraw, accusing the organization of being unduly influenced by China during the early stages of the pandemic. That decision was reversed by President Joe Biden.

Jasarevic clarified that, under WHO rules, it would take one year for the US to formally exit the organization after notifying its intent.

READ ALSO: Donald Trump sworn in as 47th US President

In China, a foreign ministry spokesperson expressed continued support for the WHO, stating that the organization’s role should be strengthened, not weakened. “China will, as always, support the WHO in fulfilling its responsibilities and work towards building a shared community of health for humanity,” said Guo Jiakun.

Trump’s executive order also directed US agencies to halt future financial transfers to the WHO and instructed them to identify alternative international partners to take over responsibilities previously managed by the WHO.

The order also announced plans to review and potentially rescind the Biden administration’s 2024 US Global Health Security Strategy, which aims to prevent and respond to infectious disease threats.

Health experts criticized the withdrawal, with former US health official Tom Frieden arguing, “We cannot make WHO more effective by walking away from it.” He warned that the move would weaken US influence, increase pandemic risks, and make the world less safe. Public health law professor Lawrence Gostin noted that the US would lose valuable access to global epidemic surveillance data, potentially compromising its ability to monitor and respond to health threats. He added, “Instead of being first in line for vaccines, we’ll be at the back.”

The decision to withdraw comes at a time of heightened concern over the potential pandemic risks of the current H5N1 bird flu outbreak, which has infected dozens and resulted in one fatality in the US.

Meanwhile, WHO member states are negotiating the first-ever global treaty on pandemic prevention and response, which will now likely proceed without US participation.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Police reinstate Obasa’s security, withdraw Meranda’s ahead of ex-Speaker’s return

Police reinstate Obasa's security, withdraw Meranda's ahead of ex-Speaker's return Honourable Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa, who was impeached as the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly on January 13, 2025, is set to make a comeback. Journalists report that his...

Trump proposes $5m ‘Gold Card’ for wealthy immigrants to gain U.S. citizenship

Trump proposes $5m 'Gold Card' for wealthy immigrants to gain U.S. citizenship On Tuesday, U.S. President Donald Trump unveiled a new immigration program designed to attract wealthy foreign investors: a "gold card" visa priced at $5 million. This visa would grant...

Former AGF seeks plea bargain for ₦1.96bn theft

Former AGF seeks plea bargain for ₦1.96bn theft Former Acting Accountant-General of the Federation (AGF), Anamekwe Nwabuoku, who is currently facing trial for an alleged ₦1.96 billion fraud, has requested the Federal High Court (FHC) in Abuja for more time...