HomeNewsAfter 2 months...

After 2 months of blackout, TCN restores power to North-East

After 2 months of blackout, TCN restores power to North-East

Story from Usman UMAR

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), on Tuesday, announced that the refurbishment and replacement of the four damaged towers along the Jos–Gombe 330kV transmission line supplying bulk power to substations in the North-East have been completed.

It said the replacement of conductors was completed on June 3, 2024, and that contractors had reconnected the jumper on tower 282, making it ready for the transmission of bulk electricity.

When the damaged towers were discovered on April 22, 2024, TCN mobilised contractors and supervising engineers from the transmission company to the site of the incident to begin repairs.

TCN expressed gratitude for the patience and support of the governors and people in the North-East during the tower reconstruction work.

It was reported last week that three additional towers were damaged in the North-East, a development that further aggravated the blackout in the region.

Initially, TCN pledged to finish the repairs and restore supply by May 27, 2024.

“However, the collapse of the fourth tower during the replacement process delayed the completion. The four towers have since been rebuilt, and the line is now prepared for bulk power transmission,” TCN’s spokesperson, Ndidi Mbah, said in a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday.

The incident occurred along the Biu – Danbua 132kV transmission line, as 16 spans of conductors were stolen, a discovery made by TCN.

Two weeks ago TCN responded to the North-East Governors’ Forum by assuring that electricity would be reinstated to the region on May 27, 2024.

This was in response to concerns raised by the North-East Governors’ Forum regarding the neglect of the region, with the NEGF criticizing TCN for its inadequate handling of repairs of damaged transmission towers in the area.

However, on Monday last week, TCN revealed that while it was in the process of completing the reconstruction of four towers that were previously damaged in the Northeast, it found that another three had been damaged.

Read also: TCN refutes reports of national blackout over labour unions strike

It also mentioned that tower number T290, one of the four new towers erected by TCN contractors along the Jos – Gombe 330kV transmission line collapsed during the cable replacement process.

But in its most recent statement on Tuesday, the company confirmed that all four damaged towers had been reconstructed and had new conductors installed to begin supplying power to the region.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Water Shortage: Kano gov orders action in Warawa LG – Commissioner for Environment

Water Shortage: Kano gov orders action in Warawa LG - Commissioner for Environment Story from Jamilu Lawan Yakasai Kano State Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf has ordered immediate action to address severe water shortages in Talawa, Ba'awa, and Dinyari communities in Warawa...

Police arraign hit-and-run driver for killing 32-year-old tech CEO

Police arraign hit-and-run driver for killing 32-year-old tech CEO The Lagos State Police Command has confirmed the arraignment of Abiola Odutayo for reckless driving, which resulted in the death of Bumpa co-founder Teejay Opayele. The incident happened on March 4, 2025,...

Four Nigerian businessmen make 2025 Africa’s billionaires’ list

Four Nigerian businessmen make 2025 Africa's billionaires' list Nigeria’s wealthiest businessmen, Aliko Dangote, Mike Adenuga, Abdulsamad Rabiu, and Femi Otedola, have emerged as the only Nigerians on the 2025 ‘Africa’s Billionaires List’ compiled by Forbes, which was released on Saturday. Once...