HomeHealthCOVID-19: Trump suspends...

COVID-19: Trump suspends funding WHO

President Donald Trump announced the suspension of US funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) because it had covered up the seriousness of the COVID-19 outbreak in China before it spread around the world, he said, on Tuesday.
Trump told a press conference he was instructing his administration to halt funding while “a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.”
According to Trump, the WHO prevented transparency over the outbreak and the United States — the UN body’s biggest funder which provided $400 million last year — will now “discuss what we do with all that money that goes to the WHO.”
“With the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have deep concerns whether America’s generosity has been put to the best use possible.”
Trump’s attack on the WHO reflects his belief that the organisation is biased toward China and colluded to prevent the United States’ main economic rival from having to be open about the unfolding health disaster.
READ ALSO: South Africa’s Ramaphosa defends WHO after Trump virus lashing
He says this cost other countries crucial time to prepare and delayed decisions to stop international travel.
“The WHO’s attack on travel restrictions put political correctness above life-saving measures,” he said.
“Had the WHO done its job to get medical experts into China to objectively assess the situation on the ground and to call out China’s lack of transparency, the outbreak could have been contained at its source with very little death,” he said.
“This would have saved thousands of lives and avoided worldwide economic damage. Instead, the WHO willingly took China’s assurances to face value… and defended the actions of the Chinese government,” he said.
Critics have pointed out that for weeks after the coronavirus epidemic began unfolding, Trump frequently praised Beijing’s response and downplayed the danger it posed at home.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Debacle of Honourable Zainab Gimba: A challenge to democratic credentials of Governor Zulum, by Ayuba Ahmad 

Debacle of Honourable Zainab Gimba: A challenge to democratic credentials of Governor Zulum, by Ayuba Ahmad  In a chat with journalists in Lagos, the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Professor Netanwe Goshwe Yilwatda described the party's ongoing...

Hypertension: The silent killer, by Falmata Maaji Muhammad

Hypertension: The silent killer, by Falmata Maaji Muhammad Story by Falmata Maaji Muhammad (Student at Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt) High blood pressure (hypertension) is something we hear about often. But why is it called the silent killer? According to the World Health...

After ₦2 million reintegration package, DSS plans additional support for Yobe youth cleared of wrongdoing

After ₦2 million reintegration package, DSS plans additional support for Yobe youth cleared of wrongdoing Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu Fresh details have emerged indicating that the ₦2 million earlier handed over to Mr Ya’u Mohammed by the Department of State...