HomeNewsLocalMaiduguri Market: Gov....

Maiduguri Market: Gov. Zulum lauds pace of reconstruction works, says donations well documented

Maiduguri Market: Gov. Zulum lauds pace of reconstruction works, says donations well documented

Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has expressed satisfaction with the progress of the ongoing rehabilitation works at the Maiduguri Monday market which was engulfed by fire on Sunday, February 26, 2023.

Zulum made this known today (Tuesday) when he paid an assessment visit to the market, of which the repairs is being accelerated to hasten return of trading activities.

The governor was received and conducted round the market by the Monday Market Committee chairman, Engineer Zarami Dungus.

“I am satisfied with the level of work done. This committee is doing a very great job and we have to support you. Most importantly we should beef up the security here to ensure the absolute safety of people’s property”, Zulum said.

Governor Zulum had in response to the fire disaster, approved the release of N2 billion with one billion meant as emergency palliative to victims and another one billion naira for the start of reconstruction of the market.

READ ALSO: APC donates N100 million to victims of Maiduguri market fire disaster

The governor supervised the commencement of work last week.

Meanwhile, Governor Zulum has explained that donations so far received in respect to the Maiduguri Monday Market fire incident have been properly documented and urged mischief makers to stop spreading misleading information on the social media.

Giving the breakdown, Zulum said, a donation of N300 million was made by the Zenith Bank Ltd, N100 million each by the Vice President-Elect, Kashim Shettima, the Yobe State Government, All Progressive Congress (APC) and the Chairman of the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND), Alhaji Kashim Imam.

Others, he said, are the donation of N50 million by Martix Nigeria Ltd, N20 million by Al-Ansar Foundation and N10 million by the Senator representing Southern Borno, Mohammed Ali Ndume.

“I heard some information going round on social media, we have to be very careful. Some people are posting ghost donations which we know nothing about. There was even a social media report that one person has donated N500 million, but we did not receive such an amount, people should take note of that”, the governor said.

“At least after every two weeks, the committee as the custodian of the special account meant for the market fire incident should inform the public of the amount of money received”, Zulum noted.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Neptune Prime Weekly Magazine (07 – 08 Feb 2026)

NEPTUNE PRINE E-COPY 14.02.2026 (1)NEPTUNE PRINE E-COPY 14.02.2026 (1)

Key achievements, challenges highlighted as BASICO alumni hold 3rd Annual General Meeting

Key achievements, challenges highlighted as BASICO alumni hold 3rd Annual General Meeting The Alumni Association of the School of Basic Studies, ABU Zaria (Basico Alumni), held its third Annual General Meeting (AGM) virtually on January 15, 2026. The meeting featured...

The interconnected challenge of drug abuse and gambling in Nigeria, by Ojoma Omale

The interconnected challenge of drug abuse and gambling in Nigeria, by Ojoma Omale The fight against illicit drugs in Nigeria has been persistent, intensified, and increasingly impossible to ignore. Over the years, the Nigerian government, through the National Drug Law...