HomeNewsNiger State: Cholera...

Niger State: Cholera outbreak claims 12 lives, over 230 hospitalised

Niger State: Cholera outbreak claims 12 lives, over 230 hospitalised

A cholera outbreak in Niger State has claimed 12 lives and hospitalised over 230 people across multiple local government areas, with 239 individuals currently receiving treatment in various healthcare facilities.

The outbreak was first detected on Sunday in the Shiroro Local Government Area.

As of Wednesday, cases had spread to at least six LGAs, including Minna, Bosso, Shiroro, Magama, Bisa and Munya.

Healthcare officials said that 239 individuals had been affected and were receiving treatment at various primary healthcare centres in the impacted areas.

READ ALSO: NCDC confirms massive outbreaks of cholera, dengue, Mpox, diphtheria in Nigeria

In response, the state government opened an isolation centre at the old wing of the Late Sen. Idris Kuta Primary Healthcare Centre in Minna.

Commissioner for Primary Healthcare, Dr Ibrahim Dangana, confirmed that a multi-sectoral response team had been deployed to curb the spread of the disease.

“We have established treatment and isolation centres in the affected LGAs to contain the outbreak.

“Aggressive sensitisation campaigns are ongoing, targeting religious organisations like CAN and Islamic groups, as well as the eight emirates in the state,” Dangana said.

READ ALSO: Lawmaker appeals as diarrhoea outbreak kills 7 people in Adamawa

He commended Gov. Mohammed Bago for his swift intervention and appreciated the support of donor agencies.

Also speaking, the Director of Public Health at the Ministry of Tertiary Healthcare, Dr Ibrahim Idris, identified Chanchaga, Minna, Bosso and Shiroro as the worst-hit areas.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

62 victims escape after Air Force strikes bandit hideout

62 victims escape after Air Force strikes bandit hideout Sixty-two people kidnapped by armed bandits in north-west Nigeria have escaped following an air strike on their captors’ camp, officials say. The raid by the Nigerian Air Force targeted the hideout of...

Electric Shock: 45-year-old man dies while fixing cables

Electric Shock: 45-year-old man dies while fixing cables A 45-year-old electrician was electrocuted while attempting to reconnect electrical cables to a pole in the Shasha area of Lagos. The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident,...

₦10 Billion Haul: Customs intercepts firearms, drugs, contraband at Lagos port

₦10 Billion Haul: Customs intercepts firearms, drugs, contraband at Lagos port The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has made a significant bust at the Lagos Port Complex (LPC), seizing 16 containers filled with prohibited items, including firearms, ammunition, military gear, and...