HomeNewsOne dead, many...

One dead, many injured in Niger mine collapse

One dead, many injured in Niger mine collapse

A mining site that collapsed on Monday, in Galkogo village of Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger, has left one person dead, many injured and more than 30 persons trapped.

The Director-General of the Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) Alhaji Abdullahi Baba-Ara made this known in a statement in Minna on Tuesday.

He said the agency received a report of a mining site which collapsed on June 3, at Galkogo village of Shiroro.

He said, “One person has been confirmed dead, six persons rescued with severe injuries while more than 30 people were still being trapped.”

Baba-Arah said that the cause of the mining site collapse was as a result of heavy rainfall that impacted the soil.

He expressed concerns that the rescuers ran for safety from the site because the site kept falling.

He also noted that the agency had yet to get full details on rescue operations due to insecurity in the area.

He, however, said that excavators had been deployed to the site for the rescue operations.

The Director-General also said that the agency received reports of persistent bandit attacks in Shiroro and Mashegu local government areas of the state.

He said that the bandits reportedly attacked Adogo Malam village on June 2 and kidnapped six persons.

He also said that the suspected bandits kidnapped more than 20 people and stole cattle in Tunga Kawo, an adjoining community from Erena.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Police reinstate Obasa’s security, withdraw Meranda’s ahead of ex-Speaker’s return

Police reinstate Obasa's security, withdraw Meranda's ahead of ex-Speaker's return Honourable Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa, who was impeached as the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly on January 13, 2025, is set to make a comeback. Journalists report that his...

Trump proposes $5m ‘Gold Card’ for wealthy immigrants to gain U.S. citizenship

Trump proposes $5m 'Gold Card' for wealthy immigrants to gain U.S. citizenship On Tuesday, U.S. President Donald Trump unveiled a new immigration program designed to attract wealthy foreign investors: a "gold card" visa priced at $5 million. This visa would grant...

Former AGF seeks plea bargain for ₦1.96bn theft

Former AGF seeks plea bargain for ₦1.96bn theft Former Acting Accountant-General of the Federation (AGF), Anamekwe Nwabuoku, who is currently facing trial for an alleged ₦1.96 billion fraud, has requested the Federal High Court (FHC) in Abuja for more time...