HomeNationPMB embarks on...

PMB embarks on peace mission to Mali 

President Muhammadu Buhari will depart for Bamako, the Republic of Mali on Thursday, on a one-day visit following the briefing by the ECOWAS Special Envoy to the country, former President Goodluck Jonathan.

Mr Femi Adesina, the President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, confirmed this in a statement in Abuja on Wednesday.

”The Nigerian President and some ECOWAS leaders led by the Chairman of the Authority of Heads of State and Government of the sub-regional organisation, President Issoufou Mahamadou of Niger Republic, agreed to meet in Mali to engage in further consultations towards finding a political solution to the crisis in the country.

In Bamako with Buhari on Thursday are Presidents Alassane Ouattara of Ivory Coast, Macky Sall of Senegal, Mahamadou Issoufou of Niger and Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana.

The five leaders were received by Malian President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita.

The mission to defuse the unrest in the Sahelian country had the backing of the Economic Community of West African States.

READ ALSO: PMB, Jonathan in closed-door meeting in Aso Rock

Former President Jonathan was at the State House in the company of President of ECOWAS Commission, Mr Jean-Claude Kassi Brou, on Tuesday to brief President Buhari on the unfolding situation in Mali.

The briefing, according to Adesina, has necessitated the visit of ECOWAS leaders to consolidate on the agreements reached by various parties.

“We will ask the President of Niger, who is the Chairman of ECOWAS to brief us as a group, and we will then know the way forward,” President Buhari had said during Jonathan’s briefing.

President Buhari thanked Jonathan for his comprehensive brief on the situation in Mali, “which you had been abreast with since when you were the sitting Nigerian President.”

The former President had briefed President Buhari on his activities as Special Envoy to restore amity to Mali, rocked by protests against President Keita, who has spent two out of the five years of his second term in office.

A resistance group, M5, is insisting that the Constitutional Court must be dissolved, and the President resign before peace can return to the country.

The crisis erupted after the court nullified results of 31 parliamentary seats in the polls held recently, awarding victory to some other contenders, which the resistance group said was at the instigation of President Keita.

Riots on July 10 led to the killing of some protesters by security agents, causing the crisis to spiral out of control, hence the intervention by ECOWAS.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

The Alausa Takeover: Examining Tinubu’s politics of exclusion, by Engr. Bello Gwarzo Abdullahi, FNSE

The Alausa Takeover: Examining Tinubu’s politics of exclusion, by Engr. Bello Gwarzo Abdullahi, FNSE Professor Farooq Kperogi’s recent commentary, “Tinubu’s Baffling Northern Exclusion Strategy,” touches a sensitive national nerve that goes far beyond the North. What initially appeared to be...

Yobe APC chairman commends transparent presidential primary as Tinubu emerges victorious

Yobe APC chairman commends transparent presidential primary as Tinubu emerges victorious Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The Yobe State Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Alhaji Mohammad Gadaka, has lauded the party’s presidential primary that resulted in the emergence of...

Beyond Infrastructure: How Yobe state is rewriting the healthcare narrative in Sub-Saharan Africa, by Abubakar M. Kareto

Beyond Infrastructure: How Yobe state is rewriting the healthcare narrative in Sub-Saharan Africa, by Abubakar M. Kareto The popular maxim dictates that health is wealth. In the calculus of socio-economic development, there is an unassailable truth that the productivity, economic...