HomeNationSenator Natasha returns...

Senator Natasha returns to NASS complex after 6-month suspension

Senator Natasha returns to NASS complex after 6-month suspension

Suspended Kogi Central Senator, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has formally resumed duties at the National Assembly complex following the unsealing of her office after a six-month suspension.

The senator arrived at the assembly complex on Tuesday, September 23, accompanied by supporters, just hours after the sergeant-at-arms unlocked her office
wing.

“While we were in court, I read in the news that our office had been opened. I even saw a video of the clerk himself unlocking the door,” Akpoti-Uduaghan told journalists before stepping inside.

She noted that no formal communication had been issued to her about her reinstatement.

“As at this moment, I have not been officially communicated to. I expect an institution like the National Assembly to follow administrative procedures, with written communication,” she said.

READ ALSO: No pressure will make us reverse Natasha’s suspension – Senate

“The last correspondence we received from the clerk stated that we were not allowed to resume, as it was within the purview of the Senate. But we are here today, and I intend to spend a few minutes in the office.”

The return led to a mild drama at the entrance to the senate wing as her supporters insisted on accompanying her inside.

She then asked them to remain calm. “Those of you who want to come, it is your office, your right to be there, just as it is your right to be here in the people’s parliament.

“But I ask that you remain quiet and calm,” she said.

“Your voices have been heard, your actions have been loud. Nigerians are proud of you, I am proud of you, and our ancestors are proud of you. Now, I will simply walk in.”

Akpoti-Uduaghan was suspended by the senate for alleged breaches of its standing rules.

However, on July 4, the Federal High Court in Abuja declared the suspension “excessive and unconstitutional”, and implored the senate to consider her reinstatement.

Despite the ruling, the national assembly management had maintained that she could not return without either a fresh senate resolution or a definitive court order.

READ ALSO: Senate unseals Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan’s office, grants her access to NASS complex

Her resumption on Tuesday marked the first time she had accessed her office since the suspension was imposed.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

DSS releases wrongfully detained young man in Yobe, offers ₦2 million for reintegration

DSS releases wrongfully detained young man in Yobe, offers ₦2 million for reintegration Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The Department of State Services (DSS) under the leadership of Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi (MON) has released a young man, Mr Ya’u Mohammed, from...

Committee officially announces Baba Malam Wali as APC governorship candidate in Yobe

Committee officially announces Baba Malam Wali as APC governorship candidate in Yobe Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The All Progressives Congress (APC) Governorship Primary Election Committee has officially announced Alhaji Baba Malam Wali as the party's flag bearer for the 2027...

Gadaka calls for sustained APC victory as Alhaji Baba Malam Wali emerges winner of governorship primary

Gadaka calls for sustained APC victory as Alhaji Baba Malam Wali emerges winner of governorship primary Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The Yobe State Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Alhaji Mohammad Gadaka, on Thursday cast his vote at Goge...