HomeNewsUS troops withdraw...

US troops withdraw from first base in Niamey

US troops withdraw from first base in Niamey

U.S. troops have completed a withdrawal from their base in Niger’s capital of Niamey and will fully depart from Agadez in the north before a September 15 deadline set by the country’s military rulers, both countries said Sunday.

Niger’s military leaders scrapped a military cooperation deal with Washington in March, after seizing power in a July 2023 coup.

The United States also had around 650 soldiers in Niger as part of anti-jihadist missions in several Sahel nations of West Africa, including a major drone base near Agadez.

“The defense ministry of Niger and the U.S. Defense Department announce that the withdrawal of American forces and equipment from the Niamey base 101 is now completed,” the two countries said in a statement.

READ ALSO: Troops’ Withdrawal: Taliban may takeover Afghanistan – US intelligence warns Biden

A final flight carrying U.S. troops was due to leave Niamey late Sunday.

The U.S. presence had stood at around 950 troops, and 766 soldiers have left Niger since the military ordered their departure, AFP learned at a ceremony at the base attended by Niger’s army chief of staff Maman Sani Kiaou and US General Kenneth Ekman.

“American forces are now going to focus on quitting airbase 201 in Agadez,” the statement said, insisting that the withdrawal would be completed by September 15 as planned.

Niger had already ordered the withdrawal of troops from France, the former colonial power and traditional security ally, and has strengthened ties with Russia which has provided instructors and equipment.

Furthermore, On Saturday, Germany’s defense ministry also said it would end operations at its airbase in Niger by August 31 following the breakdown of talks with military leaders.

READ ALSO: Federal Government to withdraw troops from volatile spots in 2020

A similar shift has taken place in neighbouring Mali and Burkina Faso, which are also ruled by military leaders and faced with violence from jihadist groups.

Proofreading, editing by Gift Luckson and Hafsat Aleeyu Muye, Journalist and Editor at Neptune Prime.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Suspected IPOB terrorists kidnap Nigerian varsity professor

Suspected IPOB terrorists kidnap Nigerian varsity professor Professor Oguejiofo Ujam, a senior lecturer and Dean of the School of General Studies at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, was kidnapped on Sunday while travelling along the Ugwuogo-Nike-Opi-Nsukka Road. The incident marks another...

NSCDC spokesman battles for life after attack by phone snatchers

NSCDC spokesman battles for life after attack by phone snatchers Some suspected phone snatchers have reportedly attacked the spokesperson for the Niger State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Ibrahim Rabiu Muti, while going home from work...

Asari Dokubo accuses Tinubu of betrayal, vows to team up with the North in 2027 (Video)

Asari Dokubo accuses Tinubu of betrayal, vows to team up with the North in 2027 (Video) Former militant leader, Asari Dokubo has accused the Yoruba community of betraying the Ijaw and Niger Delta people despite their support for President Bola...