HomeNewsInternational78 killed in...

78 killed in Israeli attacks as Trump signals Gaza talks progress

78 killed in Israeli attacks as Trump signals Gaza talks progress

Story by Zara Ahmed

Israeli attacks have killed at least 78 people in the Gaza Strip since dawn, including 14 Palestinians who were waiting near aid distribution centres, medical sources told Al Jazeera, even as United States President Donald Trump said “great progress” was being made to bring an end to the war.

Sources at al-Awda and Al-Aqsa Martyrs hospitals in Gaza told Al Jazeera that at least nine Palestinians were killed and several others injured by Israeli fire early on Wednesday while waiting for aid near the Netzarim Junction in central Gaza.

The deaths are the latest in a wave of violence near aid distribution points established late last month by the controversial Israel- and US-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), which critics have slammed as “human slaughterhouses” and “death traps”.

READ AlSO: Yemen targets Israel’s Nevatim airbase with Palestine-2 missile

The GHF has come under fierce criticism from aid agencies and the United Nations, which says the group is not able to meet the population’s needs and turns food into a weapon for Israel to carry out its military operations.

Reporting from Gaza City, Al Jazeera’s Hani Mahmoud said aid distribution centres run by GHF are typically established very close to where Israeli forces are stationed, with their tanks, armoured vehicles and surrounding snipers.

“So when large crowds gather, they are vulnerable to Israeli fire,” he said.

“Disturbingly, people are given just 20-minute windows at the aid centres to get their hands on whatever is available, such as food parcels. Once that 20-minute period ends, shooting often starts. That is one of the reasons we’re seeing large numbers of people dying at these centres,” he added.

READ ALSO: After bombarding each other, Israel, Iran agree to total ceasefire, Trump reveals

There is growing pressure on the GHF, which was brought into the Palestinian territory at the end of May, to look into the attacks. But the organisation has denied responsibility.

Israel has said previous shootings near GHF aid sites have been provoked by the approach of “suspects” towards soldiers.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza, in the meantime, has said that the health and humanitarian conditions in the besieged enclave have reached catastrophic levels due to the punishing Israeli blockade preventing urgent medical supplies reaching those in desperate need.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Troops repel ISWAP attack in Mallamfatori, neutralise terrorists

Troops repel ISWAP attack in Mallamfatori, neutralise terrorists Story by Zara Ahmed The Nigerian Military Troops of Operation Hadin Kai, in collaboration with the Nigerien Defence Force, have successfully repelled a terrorist attack on Mallamfatori, a strategic border town in Borno...

Joining ADC not easy, but necessary for Nigeria’s future – Obi

Joining ADC not easy, but necessary for Nigeria's future - Obi Story by Zara Ahmed Former presidential candidate and national figure, Peter Obi, has revealed that the coalition’s decision to adopt the African Democratic Congress (ADC) as its political platform for...

Liverpool star dies in car crash at 28 – Report

Liverpool star dies in car crash at 28 – Report Story by Zara Ahmed  Liverpool and Portugal forward Diogo Jota has died at the age of 28 following a tragic road accident in Spain. The fatal crash occurred on the A-52 motorway,...