Nigerian sprinter Favour Ashe dumps Nigeria, opts for Qatar
United States-based Nigerian speedster Favour Ashe has confirmed he is set to continue his career under Qatar, citing years of neglect, poor support and what he called an unfavourable environment for athletes in Nigeria.
Speaking to The Guardian, the 100m specialist said he has already spent the past five months in Qatar and no longer believes he has a future within Nigeria’s athletics structure.
“I am heading for a country where athletes are treated with respect and rewarded for their efforts,” Ashe said, explaining that repeated frustrations with sports administrators pushed him toward the decision.
The sprinter, widely regarded as one of the fastest Nigerians in recent years with a personal best of 9.79 seconds, revealed that the Qatari federation has mapped out structured development plans for him and other recruits. According to him, preparations for the new season will begin with training and competitions in South Africa — a level of planning he believes is lacking back home.
READ ALSO: Samuel Eto’o wins second term as Cameroon’s football chief
Ashe disclosed that he is not alone. A number of promising Nigerian athletes are reportedly already in Qatar’s programme as the Gulf nation seeks to assemble a strong 4x100m relay squad built around Nigerian-born talents.
Among those said to have made a similar move is Sunday Akintan, who recently posted an impressive 6.48 seconds in the indoor event. Sources also indicate that more athletes, including some currently preparing for major international competitions, are weighing their options in search of improved funding, exposure and regular races.
For Ashe, the breaking point came at the National Sports Festival in Abeokuta, where he was disqualified from the 100m final while representing Team Delta — a decision that sparked controversy.
“Those who have the opportunity to leave are not looking back,” he warned. “Soon Nigeria will witness a mass exit. Some athletes are even ready to compete for other African countries that can offer proper compensation and consistent competitions.”
READ ALSO: Fire engulfs medical centre in Lagos
An official of the Delta State Sports Commission, who requested anonymity, said the body had not been formally informed of Ashe’s transfer. It also remains uncertain whether the sprinter benefited from any federal training grants this year.
Ashe’s decision mirrors that of Favour Ofili, who switched allegiance to Turkey last year after accusing officials of mistreatment in the build-up to the Paris Olympics.
Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:
Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com


