HomeSecurityCrimeBoko Haram kidnaps...

Boko Haram kidnaps Biu council officials in Borno

Boko Haram kidnaps Biu council officials in Borno

‎Suspected Boko Haram insurgents have abducted the Vice Chairman and two councillors of Biu Local Government Area in Borno State. The incident occurred along the Kamuya–Buni/Yadi axis, which links parts of Borno and Yobe states.

‎The abducted officials include Alhaji Saidu and two councillors representing Zarawuyaku and Miringa wards. All three were elected during the local government elections held last Saturday.

‎A security source in Maiduguri confirmed the abductions on Thursday, stating that the officials were taken on Wednesday while travelling from Biu, the council headquarters, to Maiduguri along the Damaturu–Biu highway. The source also revealed that several other passengers were kidnapped the same evening while travelling in a Hisbah bus from Potiskum to Biu.

‎According to the source, one of the kidnapped councillors previously served as Vice Chairman of the Biu council.

READ ALSO: Boko Haram terrorists continue attacks in Borno State, kill two Soldiers, several residents

‎A community leader from Miringa, who requested anonymity, appealed to the Borno State government, the military, and security agencies to intensify efforts to rescue more than a dozen people believed to be held in the Sambisa Forest.

‎The Buni/Yadi–Miringa route has remained highly dangerous for several years, with repeated reports of abductions and killings targeting motorists, commuters, and farmers by Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) fighters.

‎In a related development, a suicide attack targeted a military position near the Cameroon border in northeastern Nigeria. Security and local defence sources said the incident occurred near Firgi, close to Pulka town in Borno State, resulting in the deaths of at least five soldiers.

‎A member of a local militia group said the victims were taken to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, where their deaths were confirmed. Military authorities acknowledged the attack but did not confirm casualty figures, stating that soldiers neutralised the attacker before he could fully carry out the bombing.

‎Although suicide attacks were once common during the peak of the insurgency, they have become less frequent in recent years as military operations have weakened the group.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Neptune Prime Weekly Magazine (07 – 08 Feb 2026)

NEPTUNE PRINE E-COPY 14.02.2026 (1)NEPTUNE PRINE E-COPY 14.02.2026 (1)

Key achievements, challenges highlighted as BASICO alumni hold 3rd Annual General Meeting

Key achievements, challenges highlighted as BASICO alumni hold 3rd Annual General Meeting The Alumni Association of the School of Basic Studies, ABU Zaria (Basico Alumni), held its third Annual General Meeting (AGM) virtually on January 15, 2026. The meeting featured...

The interconnected challenge of drug abuse and gambling in Nigeria, by Ojoma Omale

The interconnected challenge of drug abuse and gambling in Nigeria, by Ojoma Omale The fight against illicit drugs in Nigeria has been persistent, intensified, and increasingly impossible to ignore. Over the years, the Nigerian government, through the National Drug Law...