HomeHealthNDLEA warns Nigerians...

NDLEA warns Nigerians against new illicit drug in circulation

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has alerted members of the public to the circulation of a dangerous, illicit drug, Fentanyl, in the Nigerian market.

In a statement issued by the NDLEA Director of Media and Advocacy, Femi Babafemi, said Fentanyl is 100 times stronger than Tramadol and very harmful when used without a prescription.

The Agency further warned that the consumption of the illicitly manufactured drug can cause mass casualty among the young population being targeted by the cartels.

The anti-narcotics agency said every step must be taken to ensure that the drug which is currently responsible for over 70% of overdose deaths as well as a major contributor to fatal and nonfatal overdoses in the US is not allowed to circulate in Nigeria because of its lethality and the current drug abuse prevalence of 14.4% in the country.

“We are not unaware of desperate efforts by some drug cartels to introduce Fentanyl to the Nigerian market, which according to the CDC, is 80 times as potent as morphine and 100 times more potent than heroin.

“This, they plan to do either in liquid or powder form and/or with misleading labels to target our youth population.

“They may also mix with other prescription drugs. The illegally manufactured fentanyl in its liquid form can come in nasal sprays, eye drops, or small candies.

“As a result, parents and other stakeholders are advised to be vigilant, stay alert, and warn their young ones against attempting to experiment with this illicit substance.

The statement also reveals symptoms of Fentanyl exposure and/or overdose to include pinpoint pupils, falling asleep or losing consciousness, slow and shallow breathing, choking or gurgling sounds, limp body, and pale, blue, or cold skin.

The NDLEA further assured that all necessary assets had been deployed to monitor the cartels involved with a view to disrupting their criminal plots and arresting them.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

DSS releases wrongfully detained young man in Yobe, offers ₦2 million for reintegration

DSS releases wrongfully detained young man in Yobe, offers ₦2 million for reintegration Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The Department of State Services (DSS) under the leadership of Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi (MON) has released a young man, Mr Ya’u Mohammed, from...

Committee officially announces Baba Malam Wali as APC governorship candidate in Yobe

Committee officially announces Baba Malam Wali as APC governorship candidate in Yobe Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The All Progressives Congress (APC) Governorship Primary Election Committee has officially announced Alhaji Baba Malam Wali as the party's flag bearer for the 2027...

Gadaka calls for sustained APC victory as Alhaji Baba Malam Wali emerges winner of governorship primary

Gadaka calls for sustained APC victory as Alhaji Baba Malam Wali emerges winner of governorship primary Story by Sa'adatu MAINA, Damaturu The Yobe State Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Alhaji Mohammad Gadaka, on Thursday cast his vote at Goge...