HomeSecurityCrimeTerrorists attack Celestial...

Terrorists attack Celestial Church of Christ in Ondo, kidnap five worshippers 

Terrorists attack Celestial Church of Christ in Ondo, kidnap five worshippers 

Gunmen in the early hours of Wednesday abducted five worshippers during a church service in Uso, Owo Local Government Area of Ondo State.

The attackers reportedly stormed a branch of the Celestial Church of Christ at about 1:00 a.m. while a vigil was ongoing, seized five congregants and fled to an unknown destination.

The spokesperson for the Ondo State Police Command, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, confirmed the incident in a message to journalists in Akure.

READ ALSO: Terrorists attack in Benin targets Peter Obi, John Odigie-Oyegun, ADC Leaders

According to him, security operatives swiftly launched a rescue operation. “Upon receiving the report, operatives of the command, in collaboration with the Nigerian Army and local vigilante groups, immediately mobilised to the scene and commenced coordinated rescue operations,” he said.

Jimoh disclosed that one of the kidnapped worshippers has been rescued, while a suspect linked to the crime has been arrested.

“As a result of sustained joint efforts, one of the kidnapped victims has been successfully rescued. Additionally, one suspect linked to the incident has been arrested and has made useful statements that are assisting with ongoing investigations,” he added.

He assured residents that efforts are ongoing to secure the safe release of the remaining victims and apprehend all those involved. He also urged members of the public to remain calm and provide credible information to aid security operations.

READ ALSO: Terrorism: The enemy within, by Tunde Abatan

The latest incident has revived memories of the 2022 attack on St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, where 41 worshippers were killed and 140 others injured. Just a day earlier, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) reportedly arrested a sixth suspect in connection with that attack.

The DSS is currently prosecuting five suspects — Idris Omeiza (25), Al Qasim Idris (20), Jamiu Abdulmalik (26), Abdulhaleem Idris (25), and Momoh Otuho Abubakar (47) — for alleged acts of terrorism. A security source revealed that the sixth suspect, identified as Sani Yusuf, was apprehended in the Iguosa community along Powerline in Ovia North-East Local Government Area of Edo State after years on the run.

Rising Security Concerns

Ondo State has witnessed a surge in kidnappings and armed attacks in recent months.

On January 26, residents of Ilu-Abo community in Akure North Local Government Area staged a protest over the growing spate of abductions, blocking the Airport–Owo Expressway and causing significant traffic disruption.

READ ALSO: Terrorists torch homes, shops in Adamawa communities

The protest followed the abduction of Oladeinde Tomilola, who was reportedly seized at the entrance of her residence. Eyewitnesses said the attackers shot at her vehicle, damaging it before whisking her away. Two neighbours who attempted to intervene were shot, while a woman and her 11-year-old daughter passing through the area sustained injuries from stray bullets.

Following that incident, the Commissioner of Police in Ondo State, CP Adebowale Lawal, visited the community, condemned the attack, and reassured residents that reinforced tactical and intelligence-driven measures had been put in place to curb further violence.

Authorities say investigations into the latest church abduction are ongoing.

Follow the Neptune Prime channel on WhatsApp:

Do you have breaking news, interview request, opinion, suggestion, or want your event covered? Email us at neptuneprime2233@gmail.com

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Continue reading

Political Myopia and the Crisis of Small Ambition: The Continuing Decline of Ibrahim Shekarau, by Saleh Farouq Gagarawa, anipr

One of the clearest signs of political decline is when a leader who once stood at the peak of power gradually reduces his political horizon from national influence to the desperate pursuit of increasingly smaller offices. That is the uncomfortable...

Meet Segun Aina who started at JAMB as corps member, now registrar

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Segun Aina as the new Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), succeeding Is-haq Oloyede, whose second tenure ends on July 31, 2026. Aina’s appointment has attracted national attention, not only because...

Kaduna police arrest man accused of kidnapping father twice for ransom

The Nigeria Police Force in Kaduna State has uncovered an alleged kidnapping plot involving a man, Yusuf Rabo, and his nephew, Ali Haruna, who is currently on the run, over the abduction of an elderly man, Alhaji Rabo Jelani. According...